Red camera filter.

Our Eye's under the water.
bigbadbob

Red camera filter.

Post by bigbadbob »

Has anyone tried fitting red lens filters to their camera?
I notice my video comes out very blue/green due to the red end of the spectrum getting filtered out by the water.
Will a red filter darken the blues and greens and leave me with a dark picture?

The other option is to manually set the white balance in my camera settings. unfortunately I can't do that on the fly. I have to open the ROV to get at the settings button.
it's set to auto white balance at the moment.

MarcoMota

Re: Red camera filter.

Post by MarcoMota »

Hey I would suggest you to watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn4NRQgl2tw
bigbadbob

Post by bigbadbob »

Wow, thanks for the link Marco. :)
excellent video, as is her one about white balance underwater.

so... if you really want to get good colour video underwater, you're going to have to get serious.
use a red or magenta filter on your camera lens below 3m depending on whether you have blue or green water, and increase camera sensitivity setting to compensate for the colour lost in the filter. this may turn out grainy in low light conditions.
use blue tint ROV lights or a blueish filter on your white ROV lights when operating with a mix of natural and artificial light and compensate for the blue colour by using manual white balance on the camera settings, and.... re-set it using a white or grey card close to the camera EVERY METER OR TWO!! of depth change.
Use white ROV lights when operating in the dark (at night or in deep water) and use manual white balance, no need to keep re-setting it every meter or two.
Accept that everything more than 1-2m away from the camera will be blueish, trying to compensate for it will screw up the colours close to the camera.
ye canny change the laws of physics capt'n.

I now have a "coaxitron" controller for the CCTV camera I use in my ROV so will be able to manually set white balance on the fly from my ROV console. :)
fryslan76

Post by fryslan76 »

Something I learned with camera's and diving, always take something with you that is white. So you can adjust by focusing on that. So If there is a bit of your ROV always visible on the camera paint that in white and your are set :)
bigbadbob

Post by bigbadbob »

good idea Fryslan. :idea:
I didn't want to carry a white card, had thought about dropping a weight on a rope overboard with a white card on it but that seemed like a lot of hassle.
The only thing I can always see is the tips of my gripper jaws, I can paint them white no problem. seems obvious now you say it but I'd totally missed that idea so thanks. :D