More footage to come

Videos of your dives.
PhilA

More footage to come

Post by PhilA »

Well Winter has passed here in Tassie, so time to dust off the boat and the ROV and go exploring. I managed to add a third lipo battery to the ROV and also program the L1/L2 and R1/R2 buttons on the ps2 controller to operate left and right motors separately to hopefully add a bit better manouverability.

On top of all of this I have also been researching how to buidl a Proton Precession Magnetometer to help find targets to look at with the ROV. This is still a work in progress but hopefully I'll have a working machine this year.

Anyway stay tuned, some more exploration / marine life footage to come soon.
bigbadbob

Re: More footage to come

Post by bigbadbob »

Nice work Phil. you've got the neutral trim nice.
could you post some pics of your rov? I've had a search but could only find video. maybe I missed the pics.
Looks like a nice setup. I notice you use cat5 tether, do you have on-board batteries?
I also started using techmonkey code for my latest version of MiniRay but ended up re-writing most of it to suit my setup but it's a great place to start and gets you away from staring at the arduino initial screen while scratching your head/stroking your beard wondering what to do first. :lol:

EDIT- lol. I found the pics. :D
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

Thanks mate,
Glad you found the pics. I had great intentions of getting out and getting some dive footage when I wrote that last post but unfortunately life got in the way, and I've also been working on a boat towed proton precession magnetometer which sent me a little bit 'crazy mad scientist' this summer. It's quite a slow process, just like the ROV was.

I started with no idea of electronics or programming and after a fair bit of searching just picked out the techmonkey design and stuck to it. I had to google each individual component to find out what it did and why it was there and also did a Russian MOOCs online arduino course to familiarise myself with arduino. This enabled me to work out how to understand what the sketches do and how to tweak them.

Now I'm all inspired by responding to this thread, I reckon I'll take the ROV out on my next day off and get some footage <>< <>< .
bigbadbob

Post by bigbadbob »

Good stuff Phil.
This Forum is a bit quiet these days but it is good inspiration to get back to ROVing. and I use it as a record of what I've
done and when so it's a good record of progress.
The weather's too wet and windy here to get out and take footage so I build in the winter and swim it in the summer.
I had a lot of bother with a towed magnetometer at work so I feel your pain on that one.