Arduino based control system

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
Bennachie

Arduino based control system

Post by Bennachie »

Here's what I have so far. Downlink only, a fairly simple Arduino based system.

https://youtu.be/C7s2aoVd9AQ
sthone

Re: Arduino based control system

Post by sthone »

WOW :shock: that is absolutely amazing... looks like you thought of everything. I like how the trigger centers the camera. I can't wait to see it on an Rov.
Bennachie

Post by Bennachie »

Thanks!

You could be waiting a while :lol:
It's slow progress as I'm trying to design & build the ROV in such a way that it is simple, inexpensive, yet still fully functional and with a decent depth rating. I'd like to make everything myself, either from scratch or from scavenged components from the rubbish bins at work. Maybe some 3D printed stuff, once I've learned the CAD software.
sthone

Post by sthone »

Bennachie wrote:You could be waiting a while :lol:
You don't have to tell me about these things... I have projects that are 10 years in the making. :shock:

I'm curious if you even plan on sharing your code for your Arduino system? I've always wanted to get into coding but I've only toyed around with some Python stuff for some simple Raspberry Pi Projects.
Bennachie

Post by Bennachie »

sthone wrote:
Bennachie wrote:You could be waiting a while :lol:
You don't have to tell me about these things... I have projects that are 10 years in the making. :shock:

I'm curious if you even plan on sharing your code for your Arduino system? I've always wanted to get into coding but I've only toyed around with some Python stuff for some simple Raspberry Pi Projects.
Yes, I'd be willing to share, I dare say. It's not perfect, but I'm sure sections would be useful to others.
usmma_lynch

Post by usmma_lynch »

I like your reasoning behind the servo/thruster setup. Well designed controls. What joystick are using there? Would you mind sharing the project code with me? I'm looking to do a Raspberry Pi + Arduino setup, but will probably start with just the Arduino.
Bennachie

Post by Bennachie »

usmma_lynch wrote:I like your reasoning behind the servo/thruster setup. Well designed controls. What joystick are using there? Would you mind sharing the project code with me? I'm looking to do a Raspberry Pi + Arduino setup, but will probably start with just the Arduino.
The joystick is a Saitek Cyborg. It's a folding joystick, not made any more I think.
The code can be modified fairly easily to work with any PC joystick. I am using a small commercially available PCB which reads the joystick and outputs a hex string which I then decode in the Arduino.

I'll PM you about the code.
Bindo

Post by Bindo »

hello!

i believe you may be in the same vicinity as myself, if you username is anything to go by 8-)

I'm going along a similar route to yourself, and looking at your controls, you may be involved in some way with work class ROV's at the moment.

it's been 2-3 years since i picked up anything but am back in action again, if you do indeed live in an AB postcode in the UK, i may have some nice areas for test dives that are well out of the way.

Bindo
Bennachie

Post by Bennachie »

Hi Bindo,

Fine deductions! If you want to get in touch feel free to PM me.

I also have a very handy test site. A small private freshwater loch/pond that I have permission to access.

But first I need a pod...
salona

Post by salona »

Hi Richard

Good to see that you are still working on the control system. How's life over at Fugro?