BindoRov Mk2.........

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
Bindo

BindoRov Mk2.........

Post by Bindo »

After the relative success of my micro ROV, i've decided to take the plunge and make something a little larger :D

I'm currently writing the arduino code for the system, using the same "Easy Transfer" Library as KR2_diving's ROV to shuttle data around.

Controller,

An old quadcopter toy controller, fitted with an arduino nano to read joysticks and switches/buttons. I did consider going down the PS2 route, but all the videos i see online seem to show around half a second latency, i think using the PS2 controller will be pretty processor hungry compared to a basic analog to digital conversion.

Topside,

Repurposed Peli case, with an Arduino MEGA on account of it's 4 serial ports, with a 20x4 LCD screen for telemetry readout. possibly other buttons,knobs and flashy/noisey things too as i see fit.

I'm contemplating giving the 20x4 LCD it's own Arduino Uno, i have one spare, and it'd leave the MEGA free to talk to the controller and ROV

Telemetery must have......

** Heading
** Depth

Tether

Tether will be the obligatory cat5e cable probably encased in hollow poly rope, 300M , 4 cores used for full duplex comms with the sub via MAX485 modules, 2 cores for analog video 2 cores "spare".

Subside

Class E (16 Bar) 4" PVC solventweld tubing for the atmospheric housing, Arduino Mega controller, talking to the Topside Mega, i'm currently looking at an option to relay depth (I've sourced a 0-5v pressure sensor already!) and heading via an I2c module i was due to fit to one of my quadcopters.

I'll be doing my hull penetrations a little differently to most builds i see here, I'll be installing an oil filled junction box, slightly compensated (not 100% sure how that will happen yet, i'll either build a compensator, or fit a bladder to the junction box and slightly pressurize) then to the hull penetrator. the thinking is, that if i do spring a leak, it should only be oil that leaks into the hull, saving the electronics from a briney death.

doing the penetrations that way also means i can make/break connections in the junction box, and not have to redo a potted penetrator or try to seal a connector. i'll be able to use very basic wiring glands too.

possibly a single function grabber for the ROV too

Build So Far...........

14/07/15

First Trial of Arduino Code and actuating a thruster over serial......... Controller > TTL/Serial > Topside > TTL/Serial > ROV > PWM Thruster Output (full 3 channel mix)
Bindo

Re: BindoRov Mk2.........

Post by Bindo »

A short video showing my test tonight.

The ESC settings need playing with, however i'm really pleased with the outcome.

KR2_Diving
Location: Currently: NW Suburbs of Chicago. Originally: NE Wisconsin

Post by KR2_Diving »

Sounds like a great project! Very eager to see how things work out for you!

I also like your logic on ditching the PS2 controller... i hvae been thinking the same recently, as the controller I have is nice and familiar, however, it is the off brand and does not give me the accuracy i would like with buttons and joysticks...

I have also been toying with upgrading to an MEGA on the Topside. Very eager to see how this all works out!

Keep us posted!
Bindo

Post by Bindo »

Hi Ryan.

Yeah the controller works pretty well, I had 2 lying around 1 from a colleague that lost his quadcopter, and I had one that broke.

I took the centring stick from one and replaced the non centering stick on the other (rc flight controllers have a non centering stick for throttle)

I just cut the + and - tracks to the pots and wired them directly to the vcc and gnd terminals, and use the on/off switch for a thruster enable/disable switch using the INPUT_PULLUP pin mode so only 2 wires needed and no pull down resistor required.

Thruster enable/disable only sends a signal of 90 when disabled to all escs at the moment, however I want to hard disconnect all escs via a relay of some sort for the full build.

This is the exact remote I'm using, though mine were surplus....

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Hubsan-X4-Transmi ... nav=SEARCH