Rov Reboot (3D Printed Rov)

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
TigerShark

Re: Rov Reboot (3d Printed)

Post by TigerShark »

Looks great! I was going to make nice locking housings like that for the pump motors before I switched to brushless. You could do the acetone vapor treatment to smooth and harden them. It works pretty well. Your design would be good for STEM students to build too that have access to 3D printers.
sthone

Post by sthone »

Printer6.jpg
Printer6.jpg (106.22 KiB) Viewed 41551 times
Another small step... printed one of the float end caps today to get a feel for the actual size.

-Steve :sting:
oceanrov31

Post by oceanrov31 »

hi Steve, progress looking good!

i had a request if you would be able to post the design .stl file for the duct/mount you created. I have a demo for my rov at a local marine science center coming up and would like to include your 3d printed duct/mount as example of what can be done with 3d printing. I have a 750 gph johnson bilge pump cartridge and 50mm prop on the way, could you also say what prop mounting hardware you used and your source. BTW I print using a Orion delta with T-Glase, any pointers for printing your duct/mount would be appreciated.

Thanks much

Crans
sthone

Post by sthone »

Design009.jpg
Design009.jpg (44.74 KiB) Viewed 41529 times
Slowly making progress, this is the simple Bracket that will hold the Relay box to the Main float.
Design010.jpg
Design010.jpg (53.24 KiB) Viewed 41529 times
I designed some recesses into the float so the mounts of the bracket will sit flush when screwed to the float. This will probably be a PITA to get it to fit right but I like the design challenge.
Design011.jpg
Design011.jpg (75.85 KiB) Viewed 41529 times
This is more or less what it should look like with the relay box mounted to the float.

oceanrov31, give me a day or so to tweak some things on the Kort Nozzle Mount and I will post the stl. The adapters I use are custom machined, the specs are Shown Here.

sthone

Post by sthone »

Printer7.jpg
Printer7.jpg (107.15 KiB) Viewed 41520 times
One more piece of the puzzle.

olegodo

Post by olegodo »

Looking good!
Exiting project. ;)
sthone

Post by sthone »

BilgePumpThrusterKortMount2.jpg
BilgePumpThrusterKortMount2.jpg (66.88 KiB) Viewed 41492 times
Here is the .stl of the Bilge Pump Thruster Kort Nozzle Mount. I printed it as shown above, printing in this orientation uses minimal supports, shown as dark orange in the picture.

Some fitment may still be required but it should be close. If it's a tight fit do not force the pump into the mount or the thin side walls may crack a little sanding with 80 grit sand paper is all it might need. Uses 6/32" Nuts and bolts for mounting.

I printed mine in ABS using Elmer's purple glue stick for bed adhesion.

Settings
.20mm layer height
80% Infill
3 Top and Bottom Solid Layers
2 Outline/Perimeter Shells
(need to know anything else just ask)

Let me know how it comes out for you.

Attachments
BilgePumpThrusterKortMount.jpg
BilgePumpThrusterKortMount.jpg (54.03 KiB) Viewed 41492 times
BilgePumpThrusterKortMountV1.zip
(582.24 KiB) Downloaded 1374 times
Ian MacKenzie

Post by Ian MacKenzie »

Next time you print one, can you post a picture of it fresh off the printer. i'd like to see the supports, how it looks before you clean it up.
oceanrov31

Post by oceanrov31 »

thanks sthone

will print this evening, though the first one will probably be will lower infill since ive got to be gone all day tomorrow and i need it for this weekend.
I print slower with t-glase to avoid glitches so it takes longer. Thanks again for the file :D , will def post pic.

crans
sthone

Post by sthone »

Design012.jpg
Design012.jpg (49.42 KiB) Viewed 41471 times
I made some more design changes on the float today. I'm going to try and print it in two halves and then join them together later. This will probably lead to more problems later on but I just don't have a block of 24 hours I can be home to babysit printing the whole thing at once so I'm going to see what happens. Above is the right side of the float, I chopped it in half and added some alignment tabs to aid it gluing it together later on.
Design013.jpg
Design013.jpg (68.44 KiB) Viewed 41471 times
This is a sectioned view of how the two halve "should" go together with the alignment tabs once printed.
Design014.jpg
Design014.jpg (65.17 KiB) Viewed 41471 times
This is another section view this time in the slicing program showing the support material inside the float half. This half is going to take anywhere from 8-10 hours to print so we will see what happens come tomorrow morning.