BindoROV1 - Micro DIY ROV

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
sthone

Re: Mr Chips - Micro DIY ROV

Post by sthone »

Pretty cool, it looks like it worked great and the video is awesome. It's cool that had had some interesting things to see and recover but it's so disappointing to see garbage like that underwater. Least you recovered some of it.

Keep up the great work,

-Steve :sting:
Bindo

Post by Bindo »

It worked a lot better than expected!

We did get a fair amount of junk out, just wished i'd had it finished sooner before the blue/green algae started to bloom, roll on the colder weather!

thanks for the kind comments, this time next year i'll hopefully have the mk2 up and running too, just writing the arduino code for that now (learning on the fly!), and acquiring as many atmospheric housings as possible!

cheers

Bindo
Bindo

Post by Bindo »

So......

I had bought a little grabber with a view to putting it on my mk2 ROV. but it was a little weedy. .....

So onto the mk1 it goes!

It's mounted on a block of buoyancy that is enough to make the grabber assembly slightly positively buoyant.

I've gutted the servo, so it's basically a tiny reduction gearbox now, and the servo can now run wet, added a micro esc to my topside controller to control opening and closing, then weighted my output accordingly.

Threw it all together and it works, need to now wire it into a pair of my spare conductors in my tether, re trim the whole thing and away we go!

Also running 12v through my escs as opposed to 8.4, should be fine as my electronics are rated for a lot more than they are being used for!

Also want to tidy my topside control box a little more add it's not as tidy as I'd like.

Very much looking forward to my next dive!
Attachments
20150831_190045.jpeg
20150831_190045.jpeg (161.33 KiB) Viewed 6351 times
20150831_190015-1.jpeg
20150831_190015-1.jpeg (257.23 KiB) Viewed 6351 times
Bindo

Post by Bindo »

Well it was in to the test tank tonight, testing out my manipulator.

It worked well, though my "test tank" isn't really big enough for a proper test :lol:

threw together a short video showing the tests

KR2_Diving
Location: Currently: NW Suburbs of Chicago. Originally: NE Wisconsin

Post by KR2_Diving »

Really like the gripper!
Very slick design! Do you have any other details on the construction / parts used? (Or have I missed it on here somewhere?)

:grip: :grip:
Bindo

Post by Bindo »

Well the grabber is an off the shelf, cheap and nasty ebay purchase.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 98&alt=web

Then I took a servo, did away with the control board, and now I control the servo motor with a tiny brushed esc.

The servo and gripper are mounted to a block of buoyancy, which in turn is mounted to the frame.

I'm hoping to get out at the weekend for a proper test!
Bindo

Post by Bindo »

Hi Guys,

Well the grabber was a complete success!!

Spent 2 hours at a previous dive site and managed to get a heap of junk out!

i'm becoming disappointed with my FPV camera though, deffo not enough contrast, i'll have to look into an alternative.

Cheers

Bindo

Silver dollar

Post by Silver dollar »

Amazing video!
The extra camera filming the ROV was fantastic.
Bindo

Post by Bindo »

Thanks Silver Dollar

the 3rd person view is a very cheap gopro/sj4000 copy, it seems to do the trick!

A little mod was carried out tonight as my ROV light was just not cutting the mustard!

So making use of some parts i'd ordered for my next ROV, i mounted 3x 3w LED's on thermoplastic as a mount. i don't intend on flying in seawater, so they are mounted wet at the moment. I've got some liquid electrical tape en route, which i'll use to cover up the contacts and get a bit more life out of the LED's

These LED's were connected in series, as they have a max forward voltage of 4.5v, 3 led's in series should be able to handle my 3s lipo power supply, which is max 12.6v.

I'll be losing around 0.6v @ 500ma at that voltage so i was certain the LED's would not be over driven. they do get quite warm after about 2 mins in air, but in water they should remain cold.

Bindo

Re: BindoROV1 - Micro DIY ROV

Post by Bindo »

Ok so first dive with my new lighting........ very impressed! 8-)

If you compare the videos from my first time at the quarry, and today, you can see a massive difference.

My gopro picks up a bit of back-scatter, but my FPV cam seems to be unaffected? :D

the videos, the before video was a very sunny day, though i had to stay out of the shadows or visibility was horrible, the after video is today, a very dull day, and i could explore anywhere i wanted to :idea:

Before....

And After......

cheers

Bindo 8-)