Plexiglass it is, but sheet metal perhaps better ?

Waterproof Housing, Frames, and Buoyancy Methods.
dtrip

Plexiglass it is, but sheet metal perhaps better ?

Post by dtrip »

I have almost finalized a plexiglass hull design. The basic idea is a tube with o-ring lids, like the sketch below.

A very similar hull could be made from steel sheet metal. What do you think ?

The way I see it that, at least here in Greece, you can find a workshop every other street, that can make it (or parts of it) for you.
Also more durable and can probably go deeper. Can not see a problem with it.

Any opinions ?
Attachments
basic_idea.gif
basic_idea.gif (18.24 KiB) Viewed 2942 times
Bubbles

Re: Plexiglass it is, but sheet metal perhaps better ?

Post by Bubbles »

It's easier to make it of a steel tube(and cheaper) than a steel sheet.You have to cut it in lenght,bend it to a perfect circle and weld it.I don't know if worths the time and money when you you can find one easily!I know a few shops at my hometown that they sell steel or aluminium tubes and cut them to lenght for you.And you only pay for the piece you want!!!!If you are interested let me know!
dtrip

Re: Plexiglass it is, but sheet metal perhaps better ?

Post by dtrip »

Bubbles wrote:It's easier to make it of a steel tube(and cheaper) than a steel sheet.You have to cut it in lenght,bend it to a perfect circle and weld it.I don't know if worths the time and money when you you can find one easily!I know a few shops at my hometown that they sell steel or aluminium tubes and cut them to lenght for you.And you only pay for the piece you want!!!!If you are interested let me know!
Thanks! But the whole idea is to have some workshop near me make it, so I can be near the man, discuss it, show him drawings, have his say, etc.
This is a crucial advantage over plexiglass, which I will have to order from Athens or Thessaloniki, and in case of mistakes or changes, it will be
time consuming (and money) to correct them.

The hull will indeed be made from a steel tube, but various things need be welded on it (o-ring flange with lid, adaptors for screwing other things on, etc),
pehaps a "door" for the cables, etc.

Ok now I am seriously considering a steel hull.