Bilge pump amps and Arduino motor shields

Anything to do with Propulsion.
a_shorething

Re: Bilge pump amps and Arduino motor shields

Post by a_shorething »

perfo wrote:Thanks for the reply.

Do you think there is a lack of power form the bilge pumps then ? or it just a nice to have with more power for same size weight ?<snip>
The bilge pump motors are designed for a specific purpose and have the windings and rotational speed to do that well. They are as cheap as they can be and still make it to the end of the warranty period. :)

I think hobby motors are stronger, have more torque and are therefore more expensive because they have a different purpose. The price point is acceptable to the majority of people using hobby motors so they are what they are.

Aside from price, ease of use and easy availability the bilge pump motors have no advantage whatsoever. (not requiring an ESC makes them more 'accessible' to a beginner in my opinion, and that's the reason I'm still trying to use them.).
perfo

Post by perfo »

Fair enough....thanks
zoomzky

Post by zoomzky »

I will use "tanksteering" as i used in my tankproject http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2145303

PWM-signals from arduino should make it possible to smooth operating of ROV.

/Z
perfo

Post by perfo »

nice, a steering wheel may be a good option if coupled with some video glasses.
I must admit when you said tank steer I was thinking of water tanks :)

That reminded me of two fish in a tank and one said to the other.... do you know how to steer this thing :)
zoomzky

Post by zoomzky »

perfo wrote:nice, a steering wheel may be a good option if coupled with some video glasses.
I must admit when you said tank steer I was thinking of water tanks :)

That reminded me of two fish in a tank and one said to the other.... do you know how to steer this thing :)

LOL

I will acually use videoglasses steering my ROV!!
No steering wheel though...

Will use this joy http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2145303

/Z
perfo

Post by perfo »

That link looks like it goes to a steering wheel controlled tank. Am I seeing it wrong ?
zoomzky

Post by zoomzky »

perfo wrote:That link looks like it goes to a steering wheel controlled tank. Am I seeing it wrong ?
You are totally correct!! Its me not explaining as i should. :)

What i mean with tanksteering...drive will be proportional like a tank
When turning in one direction one motor will go forward and the other reverse
Calculated proportionally depending how much

Used it in rc-tankproject

/Z
perfo

Post by perfo »

Ah ok... The skid steering bit...
I played with skid steer but decided as I will need a bow thruster anyway (for rotation when not going forward/reverse). I'm going to leave the heading and correction to the bow thruster. The skid steer will of course work but if you have a way to go and need to correct heading at the same time you will be slowing down to turn..and I'm guessing getting up tot speed will be a slow thing for small motored ROV's. I haven't built my bow thrustered one yet so may be talking rubbish :)
zoomzky

Post by zoomzky »

perfo wrote:Ah ok... The skid steering bit...
I played with skid steer but decided as I will need a bow thruster anyway (for rotation when not going forward/reverse). I'm going to leave the heading and correction to the bow thruster. The skid steer will of course work but if you have a way to go and need to correct heading at the same time you will be slowing down to turn..and I'm guessing getting up tot speed will be a slow thing for small motored ROV's. I haven't built my bow thrustered one yet so may be talking rubbish :)
Cool with a bow thruster!

I did my first test tonite and its looking promising. Was nice to see its actually working as i planned to :)
Rewriting plans controlling ROV though. The joy has a pot on top stick that i will use for up/down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo5xY1JtHu4

So far the Monster motodriver produces no heat at all. Will be heatsink though.

/Z
zoomzky

Post by zoomzky »

After a couple of evnings trying to figure why motor shield was acting weird I got it to work!! :)

I did misstake using A0 and A1 for joypot. Didnt know it was used for sending switch data from motor driver. Produced very strange results :-/ Changed pins to A4 and A5 and suddenly i got a perfect smooth driver!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMPw_hNlzr0

/Z