Hello from Australia

Newbies say hello and introduce yourself.
Technoviking

Hello from Australia

Post by Technoviking »

Hi All, I thought i would quickly introduce myself. My name is James and im from the new south wales far south coast of Australia. Ever since I watched James Camerons movie "The Abyss" (1990) I have wanted to build a ROV like "Little Geek" from the movie. I live about 30kms away from a little town named Bermagui which is only 14 nautical miles from the oceans continental shelf, and my plans are to build a robust ROV to explore the upper shelf which is around 150 feet deep, as well as doing some exploration in some of the estuaries around the area, here is a great pic of Bermagui http://seaviewbeachhouses.com.au/wp-con ... l_2527.jpg

I am very green when it comes to electronics so please excuse any rookie mistakes that I may make.
I have been hovering around the forums for a few weeks, reading just about everything I can about ROVs, and I am blown away at the ideas I have seen just on this forum, so I had to join after reading about problems with tether buoyancy, I have a few cheap Ideas which I will post.

Cheers

James
rossrov

Re: Hello from Australia

Post by rossrov »

Welcome James. The Abyss - yes! Bermagui - Yes! Will be an awesome spot for ROVing. Bottom features, visibility, depth. Went fishing from there once.

Ross
Technoviking

Re: Hello from Australia

Post by Technoviking »

rossrov wrote:Welcome James. The Abyss - yes! Bermagui - Yes! Will be an awesome spot for ROVing. Bottom features, visibility, depth. Went fishing from there once.

Ross

Bermagui has some of the best fishing in Australia (so i have been told) When it comes to beach fishing I would have to agree! A friend of mine is a keen snorkeler and has told me of some really beautiful spots, he keeps trying to get me to go with him, but im terrified of swimming in the ocean after having a close call with a shark when I was young, which is the other reason for building a rov, he can snorkel and ill follow him with the ROV LOL