Raspberry PI based ROV

Anything to do with the Raspberry Pi
Moki

Re: Raspberry PI based ROV

Post by Moki »

perfo wrote:I'm afraid I'm still waiting for mine (brush less three phase though) so have very little experience (none) with ESC. Maybe if you post a diagram of how your system is set up, someone with a bit more experience will spot what's going on.. It sounds like a back feed some how..Expensive hobby if you burn too many of them $80..gasp.
I'm wondering if the ESC are water proof enough to fix them out side the hull and thus help keep then cool. From the pictures they look pretty well potted so maybe OK for fresh water ...
Indeed, thats why i used the cheap €10 ones 8-)

On the outside of the hull, don't think so. But i have been wrong before.

If you are worried about the heat, wouldn't water cooling work. Or maybe even connect the heatsinks from the ESC to the hull.
perfo

Post by perfo »

http://www.hobbyking.com/store/__67040_ ... wwodP70ARQ

The above is the ESC I've ordered. I think maybe I've gone for a higher powered one than I really needed. These are water cooled and are meant to be connected to a bit of pipe running to the outside of a boat hull and thus as the boat moves forwards cooling water moves through the heat exchange. I'm not that keen on the idea of puncturing the ROV hull with bit of pipe for cooling water but I guess it would be ok if need be. The other way of doing it would be to have a metal hull which makes everything else more complex or mounting them outside the hull. As they are potted I guess they would handle some pressure but maybe put them in a metal box and fill the box with de-mineralised water , seal it up and bolt it on somewhere that way there will always be a good thermal path to the cooling water, no pressure and as demin is an insulator the ESC shouldn't suffer if some gets in (under normal atmospheric pressure)
Moki

Post by Moki »

Fixed the ESC's (i think) controle... you should be able to move your ROV.
And config.js is active for the main server.js program. That should keep yoou from editing the server.js program.

Edit and configure the config.js to your setup. (and make a backup for later)
The HTML (files in public) part still need your edit, but am working on that.

Tell me if you like the changes ;)
perfo

Post by perfo »

I'm waiting for my servo driver board now...so hopefully I'll be spinning up motors before too long...
Good stuff Moki...
Moki

Post by Moki »

Made some progres today with the ms5803. We are getting readings, just not very stable ones.
Looks like a timeout in the sensor module.
Will need some more tweaking.

The esc control is better, but the keyboard is still more direct than the xbox controller.

Dont forget to create/edit the config.js ;)
Moki

Post by Moki »

And one more thing, the motors start with 0% power.
So if it seems like nothing is working... Check you power (keys [ and ]) settings
Moki

Post by Moki »

Got some time on my hands... So if your are using this software and are somewere stuck.
Post here of PM me.

Anything goes, so:
- Raspberry PI
- Sensors
- Nodejs
- Camera's
- install problems
perfo

Post by perfo »

Well ok seeing as you asked...
I've connected my 9 axis gyro compass thingy to the I2C bus on the raspberry pi and I can do the
sudo i2cdetect -y 1
and get the map showing its detected it on 40 and or 70.
Could you explain the steps of how it gets from this stage to actually displaying heading on the screen. I wouldn't want you to go in to great details just the theory behind the steps taken....
Thanks
Moki

Post by Moki »

perfo wrote:Well ok seeing as you asked...
I've connected my 9 axis gyro compass thingy to the I2C bus on the raspberry pi and I can do the
sudo i2cdetect -y 1
and get the map showing its detected it on 40 and or 70.
Could you explain the steps of how it gets from this stage to actually displaying heading on the screen. I wouldn't want you to go in to great details just the theory behind the steps taken....
Thanks
The theory (in short) is that you find a way to read the i2c bus (ic chip, datasheet), convert all data (gyro, accelometer and magnetometer) take into the calculation the calibration data and display that on screen.

But i am not sure, if this helps.

Ps: there is a reason why i currently use the RTIMUlib, only took me 10 minutes of C code hacking to get heading/pitch and roll from rtimudrivelib and into my program.
perfo

Post by perfo »

Ah yes I'm playing with that library, though I haven't got it to recognise my sensor board yet...
I'm using the 9-Axis Adxl345 GY -80 module which seems similar to your one...
I think it is using address 0X53 as that's what I get from the scan below

Code: Select all

pi@ROV ~ $ sudo i2cdetect -y 1
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 1e --
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
40: 40 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
50: -- -- -- 53 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 69 -- -- -- -- -- --
70: 70 -- -- -- -- -- -- 77

When I run RTIMULibDrive & it says no IMU detected similarly if I run Server.js it cant detect it and I think I've changed the address in the code. Do I need to do anything else ?
I went for this board as it's cheap and has a pressure sensor on it which I'm hoping to use to prove hull integrity. To prevent condensation and to check for leaks I'm planning on slightly pressurising my Hull with nitrogen this pressure sensor (I hope) will then tell me all is good before I plop it in the water..