The UnknownROV

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
UnknownROV

The UnknownROV

Post by UnknownROV »

Hi! I have just started to built my first ROV. Tethers are 30m long and it includes main power cable (1,5 mm² speaker wire), CAT5E Ethernet cable for controlling and video cable (two RCA plug and power cable for camera). I'll use arcade joystick and relays for control the thrusters. Let's see how this project gets rolling. :) Here is couple of pictures of 3D model, tethers and how ROV looks now.
Floats are too long at the moment.. They should be 15-20 cm shorter.
UnknownROV

Re: The UnknownROV

Post by UnknownROV »

Now the size of the floats is better:

Propellers came today but motor still takes 9-12A.. Smaller motors are coming lets see how much current they will take. If it is over 5A I'm in trouble...

Relays are also wired thanks to homebuiltrovs.com. ;)
ltdcruze

Post by ltdcruze »

Looks nice. Keep up the good work!
UnknownROV

Post by UnknownROV »

New design made with Creo 2.0. That might not be the final design because the size (20x20x15 cm) is maybe to small.

I just bought Arduino mega and thought to use now brushless motors with speed controllers instead of relays and brushed motors. I haven't used Arduino ever before so I guess that there might be some problems. But maybe I can handle it by reading internet and watching some tutorials from youtube.. :D I have so much ideas in my head but lets see what I'm able to do in real life..

Any comments about the design, something that I should change or anything? :)
Jaman42

Post by Jaman42 »

I think it looks really cool, the size could be an issue as you pointed out. How much do you estimate it weights? I am thinking about what impact the umbilical would have on your maneuverability.
UnknownROV

Post by UnknownROV »

At the size of that it might be quite light weight, so it might bring some problems especially with tether. I just thought that smaller size might have been better with those kind a powerless brushed motors but then I bought that Arduino decided to try to use more powerful brushless motors. So the size of ROV can now also be bigger I guess. :)