Moki ROV (Another DUTCH ROV)

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
olegodo

Re: Moki ROV (Another DUTCH ROV)

Post by olegodo »

Thanks again. More to come pretty soon ;)
Moki

Post by Moki »

Just keep them coming, ill be ready :P

Btw: just orded "Taulman 618 nylon filement". Should be stronger and above all, NO SMELL.
PLA printing smells... Like... Not sure(words that come to mind, are NSFW) But ill have the taste in my mouth for the next week, for sure.
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

Aren't the nylon fumes really bad for you?

PLA does smell bad, but it's biodegradable and safe. The other stuff is all plastic and needs ventilation.

I just started using ABS instead of PLA and the prints are MUCH better, but the fumes are just as strong and from what I've read, not as safe.
Moki

Post by Moki »

http://www.taulman3d.com/618-features.html
You may have heard nylon emits fumes. 618 does not emit any fumes for printing. Actually, there is no odor at all from 618. You may see what looks like puffs of smoke, but it is actually water vapor or steam. If you are interested in seeing a full report on extruding Nylon based materials, please check this link as it's an extensive report used by all of industry.
It may ofcourse all be markting-talk. Until proven wrong, ill believe it.
Moki

Post by Moki »

As i am still waiting for the Ebay stuff to arrive for my ROV-V1.
I did some work on the ROV-V2:

(Had to fix a few things, as i got the 28-30 motors, not the 28-36 :( )
Attachments
IMG_1884 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1884 - Copy.JPG (181.52 KiB) Viewed 3477 times
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

SWEET!

Question: Have you tested the threaded endcaps on that main vessel? What depth/pressure do you anticipate going to with this configuration?
Moki

Post by Moki »

My goal is simple... Max 10 meters, normal operation depth 3 meters
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

Ah, not much in the way of pressure. I've read that some people had issues with leaking when using threaded caps. Hopefully that won't be an issue here.
Moki

Post by Moki »

a_shorething wrote:Ah, not much in the way of pressure. I've read that some people had issues with leaking when using threaded caps. Hopefully that won't be an issue here.
Have done some tests... and indeed... its not Always waterproof. But nothing a little epoxy wont fix.
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

You might try something that I've seen on here from someone else that I'm also using: It's called a Cherne key (manufacturere is Cherne I think, in this area) it's just a plug that's typically used for plugging PVC pipe during the pressure test. They come with a wingnut to tighten them and have a WIDE rubber piece that gets forced out against the walls as you tighten it.

In my implementation I removed the wingnut, replaced it with a regular nut and put a printed dome shaped end on there to make it look better and be hydrodynamic (and less likely to catch on stuff). Once I determine whether it works I plan to install it with a torque wrench so that I know it's tight enough each time.

I'll post a pic of one later on if you're interested. They're designed specifically for that (albeit with sched. 40 pvc pipe) and it's quickly and easily removed.

Edit: sorry for the minor hijack. I just posted my design mod for these in my bot cousteau thread, check it out and let me know what you think.