Moki ROV (Another DUTCH ROV)

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
a_shorething

Re: Moki ROV (Another DUTCH ROV)

Post by a_shorething »

whoops!

yeah I have a few circuit boards in my kit that have those tell-tale marks (and accompanying odor) on them.

Have you looked into the IBT-2 relays? I have a couple of them (using the same 1100 gph bilge pumps on my setup).

I haven't put the power to them but they are supposed to be rated for plenty of juice (like 30A I think?) they use PWM input and can run the brushed motors we're running.

Here's a link for the hookup and code for Arduino, but you can use whatever input you need if it's PWM: http://www.hessmer.org/blog/2013/12/28/ ... h-arduino/
Moki

Post by Moki »

Yes, almost forgot the odor...

My ESCs cost almost the same. But only require 1 pwm channel.
Not that thats a problem, using the adafruit boards, i could go to 90+ pwm channels.

If my next 20A step-down fails, ill try them.
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

It's interesting that you call them ESCs. I thought ESCs only worked with brushless motors. I'm using the IBT-2 H-bridge setup because I'm using the brushed bilge pump motors.

Is my assumption incorrect or just incomplete (as in, you need to use ESCs for brushless but you can use either one for brushed motors or something like that)?
Moki

Post by Moki »

a_shorething wrote:It's interesting that you call them ESCs. I thought ESCs only worked with brushless motors. I'm using the IBT-2 H-bridge setup because I'm using the brushed bilge pump motors.

Is my assumption incorrect or just incomplete (as in, you need to use ESCs for brushless but you can use either one for brushed motors or something like that)?
As i have a RC background, i am used to using ESCs for both brushed and brushless motors.
Brushed version have 4 cables (in/out) and brushesless have 5 (2in/3out)
Brushed motors are easy, just put power on them and they run. Brusless motors need logic to run, power the right coil at the right moment, to make them run.

My guess is that brushed esc, just use some kind of pwm. But brushless, esc's will need some special logic to make the motor run.

My first ROV, has 4x 1100 rule bilgepump's. Why? Well, because i jumped in to fast ;)
My next one, will have brushless 750kv motors. And as both run on an ESC, its easy for the programmnig part... They are controlled the same way.

So back to your question, a brushed engine runs on volts... Less volt, less speed. So controle it using as ESC, a relay or some kind of pwm device.

Brushless, use logic. The faster they switch the right coil on, the faster the motor turns.
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

Thanks for the confirmation/clarification. (and sorry for the hijack).

You said you 'jumped in too fast' and that's why you went with the brushed bilge pump motors.

I would say that's pretty common but not the worst thing in the world (especially for you since you have RC experience and can re-use your ESCs if you move on to brushless)

My impression of the thruster designs available to most of us are:

Brushed motors/dual H-bridge setup (relatively cheap, lots of electrical noise), easy for a beginner to work with.
Brushless motors/ESC (more expensive but only slightly so), slightly more complex design/implementation.
Pre-built thrusters - much more expensive design, probably not for the beginner, but there is an allure to 'plug-and-play'.
Moki

Post by Moki »

a_shorething wrote:Thanks for the confirmation/clarification. (and sorry for the hijack).

You said you 'jumped in too fast' and that's why you went with the brushed bilge pump motors.

I would say that's pretty common but not the worst thing in the world (especially for you since you have RC experience and can re-use your ESCs if you move on to brushless)

My impression of the thruster designs available to most of us are:

Brushed motors/dual H-bridge setup (relatively cheap, lots of electrical noise), easy for a beginner to work with.
Brushless motors/ESC (more expensive but only slightly so), slightly more complex design/implementation.
Pre-built thrusters - much more expensive design, probably not for the beginner, but there is an allure to 'plug-and-play'.
Sorry, but i can't reuse my ESC's. The types for brushless and brushed are totally different in design and not compatible or exchangeble.

I think the list should be:
Brushed, with switch/relay
Brushed, with Brushed ESC or some kind of pwm/relay
Brushless, with brusless ESC
T100 etc.

But no worries, this way i learn more stuff ;)
Moki

Post by Moki »

Got a little side-tracked ;)
Attachments
print2.png
print2.png (167.56 KiB) Viewed 3439 times
olegodo

Post by olegodo »

In my opinion, that's pretty much as on track as you can get when it comes to DIY stuff ;) grats!
Moki

Post by Moki »

olegodo wrote:In my opinion, that's pretty much as on track as you can get when it comes to DIY stuff ;) grats!
Thanks...

And basically, its your fault... you supplied the "PrintProp" files (btw: thanks for that, again)
KR2_Diving
Location: Currently: NW Suburbs of Chicago. Originally: NE Wisconsin

Post by KR2_Diving »

Moki wrote:
olegodo wrote:In my opinion, that's pretty much as on track as you can get when it comes to DIY stuff ;) grats!
And basically, its your fault...
LOVE IT! :) :lol: :lol: