Kort nozzles

Anything to do with Propulsion.
scubersteve

Kort nozzles

Post by scubersteve »

Does anyone have any experience with actual Kort nozzles?
Not just a prop guard or piece of tubing surrounding your prop, but an airfoil profile, purpose built, Kort nozzle.
I know that Steve Thone mentioned buying and testing one on his bilge pump motor and prop testing page and that it didn't do any better than an exposed prop, but I don't know if it actually had an airfoil crossection or was just a modeling part that was more form than function.
I do remember that it came with a prop that was not specifically designed for a Kort thruster and had a very large clearance between the blade tips and the housing.
I've been thinking about trying to make a Kort 37 to go around my Graupner props and maybe taking the tips off the blades to tighten up tolerances between the housing and prop.
Anybody tried this already?
scubersteve

Re: Kort nozzles

Post by scubersteve »

Check out these articles...
http://www.propellerpages.com/?c=nozzles
sthone

Post by sthone »

That one I bought did have a bit of a airfoil shape to it if I remember correctly but in my testes it didn't do anything.

I did briefly play around with making my own once (turned down pvc) and while I basically just cut an airfoil shape by eye it kind of worked. I say kind of because while it didn't actually produce more thrust there was an actual decrease in the amount of amps used for the same amount of thrust. It was a good start but like many of my projects I got side tracked by something else and I've never been back to it.

-Steve :sting:
scubersteve

Post by scubersteve »

Interesting...
what were you using for a prop and what was the clearance like between the blade tips and the housing?
olegodo

Post by olegodo »

I will try the "Rice Thrust Nozzle" design with my printed prop some time in the next few days.
I just need to figure out a good way to mount it all together while keeping it printer friendly.
Attachments
Nozzle1.JPG
Nozzle1.JPG (43.52 KiB) Viewed 5941 times
Nozzle2.JPG
Nozzle2.JPG (66.15 KiB) Viewed 5941 times
Bubbles

Post by Bubbles »

olegodo wrote:I will try the "Rice Thrust Nozzle" design with my printed prop some time in the next few days.
I just need to figure out a good way to mount it all together while keeping it printer friendly.

How did you manage to find dimensions about rice nozzle?I search and find only dimensions about kort nozzle N37.?
olegodo

Post by olegodo »

I didn't find anything about the dimension either.
So I took the "close enough" approach and used the section view picture in my model and outlined the profile.
Not perfect in any way, but I ain't building a spaceship either ;)
SSN626B

Post by SSN626B »

@olegodo,
I believe that the Rice nozzle is patented and, as you have found like I did, there are no details about the shape of the nozzle.
I believe that the nozzle configuration came out of a collaboration between Rice and NASA.
Regards,
TCIII/SSN626B
scubersteve

Post by scubersteve »

actually you can just look up their patent and see their drawings on Google patents...
since it is a design patent drawing it has to be more than representative...
https://www.google.com/patents/US579939 ... CBwQ6AEwAA
rice nozzle.png
rice nozzle.png (78.34 KiB) Viewed 5876 times
scubersteve

Post by scubersteve »

Then again, if you look here...
http://archives.marinetech.org/rov_comp ... Report.pdf
in the propulsion paragraph, they have a solidworks profile of the "rice" nozzle they used and the corresponding test results which were pretty good.