a mate rov

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
Erik102696

a mate rov

Post by Erik102696 »

Ok so this is my first post. I go to a small school with only 200 people in the whole high school. So this means that my school doesn't focus much on engineering. So everything done with this rov is completely on our own time after school. So why not start from the most important part...... the controls! So this year we are going fancy. We are using an Arduino mega with a USB Host shield. Connected to this shield is a ps4 controller. Right know we have the ability to have variable control on the one motor and esc that we have right now. I will be attaching pictures when I get a chance. As we move forwards we hope to be able to take advantage of the gyro in the controller and also be able to use the touch pad on it to be able to do something like control a pan and tilt camera. Also we are going to be opting to use brushless motors. still trying to figure out the best way to seal the shaft. I just got some 4 mm u cup seals that where marketed as sub shaft seals so that will be step one. But prototyping sure does help when my dad owns a cnc machine shop! :D

thanks-
Erik

P.S there will be more to come this is only the first of many posts.
scubersteve

Re: a mate rov

Post by scubersteve »

Glad to see you started a thread.
I feel your pain on the small school thing. The team I mentor comes from a private school with only 50 in the high school. Three of the 7 seniors were on the team. We had one 50 minute team meeting a week and the rest of the work was done after school.

Very cool that your dad does CNC work. I bet that's handy.
What did last year's rov look like?
Erik102696

Re: a mate rov

Post by Erik102696 »

scubersteve wrote:Glad to see you started a thread.
I feel your pain on the small school thing. The team I mentor comes from a private school with only 50 in the high school. Three of the 7 seniors were on the team. We had one 50 minute team meeting a week and the rest of the work was done after school.

Very cool that your dad does CNC work. I bet that's handy.
What did last year's rov look like?

Last year we had a rov that was made out of 80/20 and had bilge pumps as motors.we used an arduino and read the analog outputs of a analog joystick. That then went down a eathernet cable to the rov.