Easy way to make a thruster exit shaft.

Anything to do with Propulsion.
dressur4

Easy way to make a thruster exit shaft.

Post by dressur4 »

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... =LXAJRY&P=

I am going to use this as an output shaft oil fill the enclosure and use brushless motors. what do you all think??????
rossrov

Re: Easy way to make a thruster exit shaft.

Post by rossrov »

Interesting find. Was going to ask what you were referring to when you mentioned "Neptunes" on another thread. No need now. I see from the Thunder Tiger website that they list the shafts and drive couplings as well. 4mm prop shaft and 1/8" motor shaft are common sizes.

Still have to mount the motor somehow, which I think is as fiddly or more than the shaft end. I didn't see a bearing near the seal. Excessive wear on the seal??

For $22 there is some machining, the aluminium, seal, o-ringy thing and screws. Looks good.
dressur4

Re: Easy way to make a thruster exit shaft.

Post by dressur4 »

I have three Neptunes and never had a leak and I had one down real deep. The motor bolts to that aluminum bulkhead with stainless steel screws and O,rings around the screws as there are machined recesses for that purpose. on bearing on the end. But with oil insie the enclosures it may work. I never had a bearing issue and have dived the one sub I don't know how many times and it is 5 years old. The German kit "Delta" has the same exact setup. If it is German or Germans use it.. It has GOT to be good.