I'm Jon, First ROV.

Newbies say hello and introduce yourself.
Noj504

I'm Jon, First ROV.

Post by Noj504 »

Hey all,
My name is Jon and I'm planning on building my first ROV. My back ground is in aircraft maintenance, I feel like I can handle a basic design but I will have questions about wiring and waterproofing. I'm finishing up the final designs but have established a lot of basics.
The frame:
PVC used to make essentially a box(house most components) with transverse outriggers running the length of the sub(used to house forward drive motors).
Camera:
PVC housing containing a color security camera w/ night vision.
Wiring:
Otter box containing wiring and relays waterproofed with a wax plug.
Motors:
This is my big question I've read that bilge pumps can be easier to work with harder to control and less efficient. However, I've heard motors can be more efficient and multi-directional'
Tether:
About 100ft of cable containing camera cable and I was thinking of wiring everything to a multi-pin connector.
Landside:
Car battery connected to a simple series of switches that will control relays and a monitor.
Accessories:
I was planning on putting a small compass in the camera's field of view. 2 lights made from repurposed led flashlights mounted in the same manner as the camera. also mounted in the light housing 2 laser pointers calibrated to meet at a known distance(so I know distance from a given object) A trash picker mounted under the body on a servo to control the claw.
Any comments or ideas would be helpful as this in my first ROV. thank you in advance.
jpWA

Re: I'm Jon, First ROV.

Post by jpWA »

bilge pumps are waterproofed motors attached to centrifugal pumps, so it you use them as is, they only provide propulsion in one direction. What most people do is take the housing and turbine off and attach a propeller from a model airplane. Switches and relays should be fine unless you have a brushless motor