Irish ROV Buildlog

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
Cfy7

Re: Irish ROV Buildlog

Post by Cfy7 »

Great thread Colm. I've been looking at doing the same thing but minus the raspberry pi, and with brushless motors much like the open rov design. I was going to use some form of usb to Ethernet adapters, but this thread has a much better setup.

My new setup is the same as the Monterey.

I'm at the same point as you with getting all the parts working together before I build the housing.
Colmomalley811

Post by Colmomalley811 »

Hey Cfy7,
Thats great I'm just working out the code for my motors now but
my next job is the CAD plans for the hull I will upload them as I draw them,
I will send you any of the plans I draw if you pm me for them I will be using a metal hull as I have access to a sheet metal shop and a welding shop through my work (well thats the plan ) but feel free to learn from the mistakes as I make them
fryslan76

Post by fryslan76 »

Hi Colm,

Which version of the pi are you using and what framerates/resolution does your camera give you with that?

Regards,

Fryslan76
Colmomalley811

Post by Colmomalley811 »

Hi Fryslan76,
I will post a video tomorrow evening of my video set-up in operation, I'll post the information along with

I just received the openrov imu module in the post today, this is what I'm planning on using for my depth and heading

Might post a video of the testing of this aswell so you can see the progress
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (11.03 KiB) Viewed 3749 times
Zaibach

Post by Zaibach »

Welcome to box of Parts club :D

Great find on those H-bridges, tried finding something similar for a while but ended up giving up and going with a relay board. Will have to look into picking a few of those up. Also nice find with the UI, going to take a look at that when I get a chance, didn't know anyone had written anything like that for the Pi.

Been playing around with HD USB cams myself so I am interested in seeing how your setup and the UI preform. Personally I haven't been able to get much better than iffy results with the Pi streaming ~640x480 with ~1sec+ delay but admittedly that was over WiFi(for testing) and I previously had zero experience with setting up streaming (now nominally more than zero lol).
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

Colmomalley811 wrote:Thats all the stuff I have working now I have to figure out how to change the bottomside code to my motors I am not using esc’s I am using these drivers (see image)
I bought 3 of these on ebay another impulse purchase,
The Motors are 3 Bilge Pumps,
like I say I am a newbie and thought this was a good idea but the more I read the more I begin to question myself anyway they are 1100 gph bilge pumps from ebay

So with a couple of lines of code I can control the motors direct from the arduino with PWM but my current problem is changing the bottomside code for the arduino to control these motors.

I will post all progress and appreciate any thoughts, comments, inspiration, suggestions and help

Thanks for reading
Seriously that is the driver I've been looking for. Perfect!!!

Thanks for posting.

I've done some Arduino coding for my XBOX controller pass-thru so if you need some coding help let me know.
Cfy7

Post by Cfy7 »

Just thought I'd mention this Colm. I'm going to try moving my hub to the surface, since it's my understanding that the arduino and the raspberry pi both only need two twisted pairs each. Should help keep down power usage and heat in the ROV.

Any thoughts as to why this may not work? I ordered some rj45 crimpers and I plan on trying it when they come.

Update: it worked. I used a small router I had laying around and used 2 pairs in the Ethernet cable for the arduino, and 2 for the pi. At the surface I split them back into 2 connectors and plugged them into the router.
tcholas

Post by tcholas »

Hello my friend, let me ask you a question:

Do you know if the BTS7960B IT2 Drivers could work on with Beaglebone Black?

By the way, you project is very good!
Colmomalley811

Post by Colmomalley811 »

Firstly let me make it clear I am no expert
http://www.hessmer.org/blog/2013/12/28/ ... h-arduino/
If you look at the above link you will be able to see the code for the motor drivers to function
I don't see why the PWM signals from a beaglebone black should be any different i have a beaglebone black but unfortunately I'm up to my neck with work at the minute so can't go experimenting sorry
tcholas

Post by tcholas »

Colmomalley811 wrote:Firstly let me make it clear I am no expert
http://www.hessmer.org/blog/2013/12/28/ ... h-arduino/
If you look at the above link you will be able to see the code for the motor drivers to function
I don't see why the PWM signals from a beaglebone black should be any different i have a beaglebone black but unfortunately I'm up to my neck with work at the minute so can't go experimenting sorry
Thank you, very much!
This was a very helpful site, I would like to know how your ROV progress.
I will start to build mine.