Fibre optic tether

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
kenl

Re: Fibre optic tether

Post by kenl »

Just as an update, I bought a pair of the converters in my opening link and they do not support Data despite the product information.

I am discussing the matter with the sellers at the moment, that is why the link won't work, they have removed the listing.

Anyways there are other options with sellers that have better english skills, I think some just use translators which would be hard.......... But then again I speak NO chinese :oops:

The main questions I know to ask for next time are; does it definately support data and is it 2 way, some only seem to be one way communication.

As for Aliexpress, we will see, the sellers understanding of english seems to be slipping as they realize I want my money back, it will cost me $25 to return the item, but I'm asking them to confirm their understanding of the matter.
rossrov

Post by rossrov »

Bummer Ken. Have been watching the forum to see how you went with the converters. Good one with the LCD though.

On Googling this morning, seems all these cheap converters only support data in one direction though it is very misleading the way it is described. By "reverse data" I guess they mean travelling in the reverse direction of the video, rather than reverse of any other data. Some have what they would call forward data, but not both it seems :(

My own experience dealing with an Aliexpress advertiser is one I do not wish to repeat. I think some of them are just individuals who go sourcing and reselling. Some have virtually no knowledge of what they are selling, and bluffing seems to be more (business/culture?) acceptable that just saying "sorry we don't understand what you are saying" or "no, the product has not been shipped yet"

Tried to find online prices on converters that would do 2-way data with no luck. However, here are the converters I was looking at:
http://www.gesecurityproducts.eu/HQ/pro ... =S732DVT-P
http://www.avexcctv.com/fo_cctv_fiber_o ... _data.html
kenl

Post by kenl »

Hey there Ross, I'm not really bummed out about it, I guess to some degree it's a case of if it looks too good to be true........

Anyways at least they sent something! I have a dispute now in action through AliExpress, I think I have a strong case as the product description states that data is supported. The seller however says that the title does not state that data is supported, that is their whole argument, I got screen shots and saved the site prior to them taking it down so we will see how much the site can be trusted??

I have found a few other that have the reverse data but don't really know what that means, I also found a pair that specifically said that they were two way, they were $300 for the pair. I asked a question to confirm that it would replace my current 6 pair setup and got a clear and concise answer saying yes it would. But I will wait for the AliExpress machine to do it's stuff before I buy there again.

On the same topic I have a guy (Malith) doing some coding for me, yeah I know, how slack is that..... He is an undergrad in Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering, so when he finishes my current gig (the web site is called Fiver) I will ask him how much he knows about fiber optics.
kenl

Post by kenl »

These two pages list the other transceivers I was talking about. I have not asked if they are prices per pair or each unit.

I have asked about the data, the first site had moderately good english and said it was data one way, but didn't say which way, the other had very good english and confidently told me that it supported RS422 duplex conversion plus the video. I like the second unit better if the price is per pair...

The first site

The second site

But as I said before I will see what the outcome of my dispute with the supplier of the ones I got is, if it's not favourable I will stick to small change if I buy anything from AliExpress, the ball is in their court.
Oldsirhippy

Post by Oldsirhippy »

@kenl

Have been following your quest for optical transceiver converters with great interest.
However I am puzzled :? - how do you connect the fibre cable to the transceiver unit whilst still ensuring water and pressure proofing?
rossrov

Post by rossrov »

Hi Ken. Too good to be true is what I was thinking too! Yeah, first link looks like only one way, but the way the specs are translated...

Found one on Ebay. Features list doesn't say anything, but further down the page gives the impression it will do 2-way. Some of these ads look like hasty copy-and-paste jobs. Understandable, once again, given the language differences and assumptions made by the seller

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1CH-Video-Digit ... 2457951%26

Off topic but WRT to your Fiverr (looked at the site), slack maybe, but smart. Assuming the code is readable and written to do exactly what you want without any extra stuff, this could be the fastest way to learn the code, commands and libraries you need to know for your project.
kenl

Post by kenl »

@ Oldsirhippy, I too wonder about that? But never let reality get in the way of a dream :D . The only one who has done the Fibre optic stuff is rover3d using ST/ST connectors, I have asked him if they are water proof enough, but no reply as yet.

I figure at worst case I would need to have the Fibre potted into my ROV so it is always attached to the Tether, but my preference would be to have a connector on my rear bulkhead, this would have a short patch lead going to the transceiver inside the ROV then on the outside would be a waterproof connector to attach the tether. There are some IP68 fibre connectors available.

@ Ross,

I hadn't seen any on ebay, must have not used the correct search terms. I see that it is also from Shenzhen, Guangdong in China. That appears to be the Fibre hot spot in China.

I would be asking a lot of questions and ask to see photos of both units front and back, you see the unit on the bottom does not have the data ports shown, they MAY be on the other side? For the minute I will let my fingers cool a while and keep playing with the code.

The code is taking a little time but that is due to trial and error, sending files back and forth. The seller told me up front it would not be easy because I had the hardware and he couldn't just do quick checks and carry on, but we are getting there, I have just downloaded his latest up date so will try that afterwards. I think he is also learning a bit as we go along, it's not everyday you program a ROV.

So far we have changed the steering from Tank mode to using a single joystick and at the moment we adding in my pressure sensor and a auto depth hold function, yesterdays stumbling block was getting 2 way comunication established to report Depth to the LCD, my guess is that today we will be fine tuning the depth hold.

Hopefully I get to wet the ROV today :)
rovdude

Post by rovdude »

For converting signals, THIS PDF will probably be very helpful
ROVER3D

Post by ROVER3D »

The only one who has done the Fibre optic stuff is rover3d using ST/ST connectors, I have asked him if they are water proof enough, but no reply as yet.
Sorry for late reply: I've tested conecting fiber optic line UNDER WATER without any problem! You can disconnect and connect under water and it will run!
rovdude

Post by rovdude »

This site has some amazing fiber optic transceivers/receivers/transmitters for cheap prices (Under 50 USD). Now I have just touched into optic cable, so I'm not sure if this is exactly what I am looking for. I am just trying to take a cat5 signal and convert it to optic, and then back to cat5. Is this the right stuff? And are there any fatal flaws/components I am missing?