Aquatic Invasive Weed Removal ROV

Spot for your general beginner questions.
VikingUAS

Aquatic Invasive Weed Removal ROV

Post by VikingUAS »

Hi,

I am looking to design and build a ROV to help remove theses invasive weeds at our lake camp called milfoil. I was given this website from a University that specializes in ROVs they told me this is the best place to get information on ROVs. My company VikingUAS designs and builds Unmanned Aerial Systems and we do subcontract work for off-shore treasure hunters and the underwater mining industry but I don't want to spend a $100000 on a ROV that only needs to go down to 50' max and I think it would be a fun project for my boys and I too work on as a homebuild. I have built in the past tactical EOD tracked Robots I would like to incorporate the track system in the design other then that I am wide open on the design I was thinking 36" x36" x48". I have full machining and 3d printing capabilities. With that in my field of UAVs I was one of the original founders starting on forums like this so I appreciate the forum structure. I really need help in the control interface for sure.
VikingUAS

Re: Aquatic Invasive Weed Removal ROV

Post by VikingUAS »

Also I am about supporting the innovation of design anyone that helps me I will help you I understand that many don't have cnc machines and 3d printers to make components if you need something let me know just be prepared for me to pick your brain. I am very passionate about developing a solution for this cause and I believe a small ROV will be less impact to the environment then a barge with giant excavator at $8000 per day and it wont destroy the scenic views of our lake......Thank all of you for your support and if any of you are into FPV aircraft and or UAVs I develop some of the best on the market and I can help you make your own for pennies using some of the best off the shelf autonomous packages. I don't know much about underwater vehicles but when it comes to flying I have some experience..... :)
kenl

Post by kenl »

Wow Viking, I can't see how I could help you with your background.

BUT, I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with. My research in my own build has often lead me to FPV sites, and as someone who always needs a project, well I think that will be my next one!

We live in exciting times, to be able to build your own whatcha ma callit for a comparatively small price is so much fun! Much better than TV ever was :D
VikingUAS

Post by VikingUAS »

KenL,

Thank you for the kind words, if you are into fpv send me an e-mail I can help you we manufacture FPV platforms everyday and like ROV tech is your thing UAV tech is mine. With that I can tell you flying is a lot easier to design for then that of underwater. I have had a good amount of response and offers to help I am really looking to build this platform but I am going to mount tracks on the ROV so I can do some aquatic bull dozing at my camp.
Zaibach

Post by Zaibach »

This is an impressive and difficult challenge you are undertaking :)

vegetative fragmentation seems to be the biggest concern when dealing with milfoil. Which really limit how you can approach the problem without inadvertently making it worse.
VikingUAS

Post by VikingUAS »

I agree the challenge is huge my goal is to create this tracked ROV and with a manipulator move a suction head which will help move the milfoil fragments to a catch basket on our pontoon boat. The key is we need to do something and it is absolutely not fun to dive in these weeds. I am working with experts from the DEP and EPA on the project I figured when ever you take technology to adapt to an application it is always best to have experts involved. This is why I have asked from help from you guys which is huge...Thanks to all.....