I'm jumping in!

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
Bubbles

Re: I'm jumping in!

Post by Bubbles »

Really impressive Ole !!!Keep up the good :o :o
theinlinaung

Post by theinlinaung »

Very good job! I see only two vertical thrusters, I suppose you will let it free trim.

Btw where did you get that torch light?
olegodo

Post by olegodo »

I'm not sure what you mean with "free trim" But I will have it so that it is possible to adjust the angle and move the position of them.
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

Wow, you don't mess around Ole! That thing looks professionally made, no doubt.
Lost Bob

Post by Lost Bob »

Very nice ! I am planning a similar motor layout. What's the angle of your hor thrusters and how did you decide it ?
Is it more efficient to have all 4 pointing to the rear. I was going to have my 2 rear thrusters facing forward but now I may turn them around.
theinlinaung

Post by theinlinaung »

olegodo wrote:I'm not sure what you mean with "free trim" But I will have it so that it is possible to adjust the angle and move the position of them.
Trim is the longitudinal rotation of the vehicle. For example, when you attach or grab a heavy thing on the tip of your manipulator/ cutter, your rov will trim/ incline to forward. I don't see a vertical thruster which can counteract the weight and restore the inclination.
olegodo

Post by olegodo »

I see. To be honest, this is something I have overlooked! However, it doesn't show in the 3d model I posted but the arm will be able to rotate all the way under the ROV and in to a sort of storage position underneath the WTC (water filter housing) So if I want to lift something, can hopefully balance the extra weight under the vertical thrusts. I would still have problems with the "hand of".
If this doesn't work I will have to think of something else later :P

Btw, the torch is something like this, but 230v and very rugged type. It's not mine so I don't know the make:
http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/937176/92 ... _light.jpg

Lost Bob:
The motors are placed at a 40deg angle now. But I plan on having this adjustable. I don't really know what is the most optimal. 45deg would give the most equal thrust in all directions, but as I think it will be moving forwards and backwards more, I believe it is more efficient to have them on a smaller angle that favors forward/back movement.
My thrusters are most efficient when pulling water from the propeller side and out over the motor. That's why I have placed them so that when moving forward, the two in front will pull more then the two in back will push. This way the ROV will be more pulled than pushed, thous helping with keeping it straight. If there is anything to this I don't know :)
olegodo

Post by olegodo »

A bit of encouraging news today.

I got idea to use a water filter as a pressure housing from Mr Fishing Rov on youtube.
I really liked the simplicity of this approach but my concern has been that I didn't really know how much external pressure this housing could withstand on its own.

Today Mr Fishing Rov posted a new YouTube video where he pressure tests his ROV hull.
Even though he has modified his housing and added a clear dome in the end (which I will not do on mine), it was still able to withstand close to 20bar before the housing collapsed.
This means it should withstand close to 200m depth. This is twice as deep as my 100m goal, so I believe I should be pretty safe.
Adding some stiffener rings to the housing would also help a lot.
This also means that I really don't need to pressurize the housing before I dive as I have talked about earlier. But I still want the ability to do so.. just in case :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHpoFKc-W-c
hobbydude

Post by hobbydude »

Good idea to use the water filter housing.
I am using a cut down dive tank as the main housing. It will have a 3/4" BSPT barb screwed in with all comms and thruster wiring going through. Was going to use laminating resin through barb around wires for water proofing.
What is your plan for plumbing up the electrical into the water filter?
olegodo

Post by olegodo »

I will be using the same solution.
There are two 1" ports I will use for all cables.
I will epoxy in single stranded cabling using this epoxy or similar: