I'm jumping in!

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
olegodo

I'm jumping in!

Post by olegodo »

Hello everybody!

Finally I have manged to get going with my build, after lurking around this site for many months now I guess it's about time too.

I have created a blog where I will be posting my updates as I go along. But I will also be using this thread.

Link: http://olegodo.blogspot.no/

My ROV will be based on the SeaFox design, brush less motors (not sure if oil filled or straight in water yet), network communication between topside and ROV (same solution as OpenROV), On board arduino and/or Rasberry PI for controll, on board LiPo battery pack, simple camera for navigation (usb or IP) Manipulator with tilt and rotate function.
This is the plan as of today and may change once or a few times ;)
So far I have received quite a lot of help with arduino programming from a_shorething, and I am also using his "Xbox360 pass-thru" software to send commands from my 360 controller to my arduino.

Progress will most likely be slow and quite random as i go :P

Feel free to ask questions or come with suggestions!

Update 01.09.2014:
The files for my first thruster design can be found in the following link for anyone who wants to print one.
Note that more updates, different propeller designs will come later.

PDF Drawing of thruster with parts list:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1bbh92cnv4btu ... 1.pdf?dl=0

Folder containing files:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/35tuy8w8eqgb ... pjgKa?dl=0
Last edited by olegodo on Sep 1st, 2014, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a_shorething

Re: I'm jumping in!

Post by a_shorething »

Hey Ole!

Looking good. I checked out your blog, looks cool.

Did you get the thruster/ESC to test yet?
olegodo

Post by olegodo »

No not yet. According to the tracking, the package has been halted in the Norwegian customs for 2 days now. getting closer I guess :)
rossrov

Post by rossrov »

See you ended up using those floats you found - looks good.
olegodo

Post by olegodo »

Thanks!

My ESC and motor arrived yesterday, but unfortunately I will not get time to test it before the holidays.
I have also received some small geared, 20rpm DC motor's that I plan to use for my manipulator.

Does anyone have any advice on a good potting compound I can use to waterproof some electronics?
Especially the LED's I am using.
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

Ah, it's a shame the stuff didn't get there in time for you to test. I was looking forward to hearing how that went.

re: small geared motor for manipulator... sounds very cool. I didn't know about that. Do you have a set of plans for how it will work? Are you using a claw or some other kind of manipulator?

Have a great holiday!
rossrov

Post by rossrov »

This mob is in Australia, but the website is reasonably informative. https://secure.solidsolutions.com.au/vi ... .php?cat=6
Some years ago I bought some RTV silicone from them to make moulds for submersible camera parts. There is also information on polyurethane etc etc there. I have been using regular fibreglass epoxy laminating resin to pot cable and wires (yellow-ish when cured). Consider the heat generated by any components you intend potting.
olegodo

Post by olegodo »

Well, a long time has passed and not much has happened. However, I have been spending some more time on planning and testing different things.
Since I now have most of the things I will need to build my ROV, things will hopefully start happening again :)

If someone is interested in what parts I will be using, here is a list of what I have now:

Motors: 6 x NTM Prop Drive 28-36 750KV / 265W

ESC: 6 x HobbyKing 50A Boat ESC 3A UBEC

Battery: 6 x Turnigy 5000mAh 4S1P 14.8v 20C (30AH total)

Charger: TURNIGY MEGA 400W V2

Propellers: 6 x EDF Ducted Fan Unit 6Blade 2.75inch 70mm, Still unsure about these, but they were dirt cheap. Testing them soon. Numbers will be posted in the thruster section of the forum.

Camera: Mini H.264 720P 1MP IP Network Board Camera With 2.7mm Lens. 158Degree wide angle.

Also have all the plugs, voltage regulators, spares and a lot of other small stuff I will need.

For communication I will use modified home plug adapters, I have so far used a ~60m long single twisted pair of 24awg wire and maintained a solid 100mbit connection. I am hoping this will still work with a 200m long cable.

Controll will be an arduino mega with ethernet shield.

5port 100mit switch to tie arduino, camra and home plug adapter together.

The plan is to oil fill both the battery and electronics box with mineral oil. I want to use two IP67 certified aluminum enclosures for this. but haven't decided yet.

The motors will be potted and bearings replaced with bronze bushing (Same as SV Seeker has done)

For my manipulator I basically haven't decided yet witch direction to go. I have five waterproof servos I can plastidip, fill with oil and pressure compensate. The ones I have are quite powerfull, one is 30kg/cm, two at 15kg/cm. Should be enough for the manipulator. I also have two that are rated for 5kg/cm witch I maybe can use to tilt my camera.
I have one servo that has been filled with mineral oil for 3-4 weeks now. I test it every day and it still works fine.

Or I can build oil filled enclosures for steppers, run the shaft out oil seals and use threaded rod and 3D printed gears to gear everything down and get it strong enough.
Everything for the steppers is on its way in the mail. :)

There is still some things that are not yet clarified, like sensors, fuses and so on. But at this point I can at least start some of the assembly! :)
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

Hey Ole! Looks great. Good luck. I've been on hold for a long while too, hopefully things will start moving forward for me soon too. Since I am spending most of my free time in my boat on TOP of the water I haven't spent much time in the garage getting ready to look UNDER the water. But soon enough I think...

Standing by for updates...
kenl

Post by kenl »

WOW, with that motor combo I think it will be a rocket!

Be careful of any exposed electrical connections, especially if diving in salt water. Once back in the air they will corrode very quickly if there is still power available them, I mean like in minutes..