I'm jumping in!

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
olegodo

Re: I'm jumping in!

Post by olegodo »

Finished wiring up everything yesterday.
Cameras still work! :D
Need to add some strain relief and cable management inside the camera house then I guess its pretty much done.
The cameras put out a bit of heat. So I am exited to see how that works out :P
Attachments
DSC_0760.JPG
DSC_0760.JPG (313.25 KiB) Viewed 5828 times
sthone

Post by sthone »

Looking good... on your camera housing tube, are you just relying on the outside pressure to keep the end caps on the tube?

I'm thinking running a similar setup and it's something I always wondered about how they stayed on.

-Steve :sting:
olegodo

Post by olegodo »

Pretty much yes.
The fit with the o-rings is quite tight so it needs quite a bit of force to get the caps on and off. Also there is one o-ring between the end surface of the tube and endcaps. Pressure on this o-ring will increase as the outside pressure increases with depth.
Only thing that would cause enough inside pressure to pop them off would be a fire. In witch case a leak would be the least of my worries :p
theinlinaung

Post by theinlinaung »

Just saying it's a great work. Cheers :) :) .
salona

Post by salona »

I've made a start to my micro ROV using your excellent design of thruster. Originally I had planned to buy a set of X3 Control boards but decided to order Arduino boards instead. I have absolutely no idea where to start with coding, do you have a sketch that you would be willing to share?

ImageImage
olegodo

Post by olegodo »

Hi,

Please keep in mind that the thrusters might be a little fragile. At least that's what some have said. There will be an updated version some time in the distant future that addresses some of the issues that some have pointed out.
Also, I have some Igus composite bushings coming in the mail shortly. these will replace the original ball bearings and most likely the brass bushings I was thinking to use on my thrusters. I think these bushings are the same or similar to the ones that Bluerobotics use on their T100 and T200 thrusters. Should be good stuff for this use.

I do not have any adruino code to share. At the moment I don't have any control system :shock:
I have found out that programming and coding is really not my cup of tea. I am not exactly sure what I will do, but I guess I will end up using the X3 board for control and a separate arduino just for controlling my camera and manipulator.
We will see..

For the next 2-3 months I pretty much won't be able to do anything as we have bought a house and will now start the process of selling my apartment. This means no spare time to do ROV work. :cry:
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

olegodo wrote:Hi,

Please keep in mind that the thrusters might be a little fragile. At least that's what some have said. There will be an updated version some time in the distant future that addresses some of the issues that some have pointed out.
Also, I have some Igus composite bushings coming in the mail shortly. these will replace the original ball bearings and most likely the brass bushings I was thinking to use on my thrusters. I think these bushings are the same or similar to the ones that Bluerobotics use on their T100 and T200 thrusters. Should be good stuff for this use.

I do not have any adruino code to share. At the moment I don't have any control system :shock:
I have found out that programming and coding is really not my cup of tea. I am not exactly sure what I will do, but I guess I will end up using the X3 board for control and a separate arduino just for controlling my camera and manipulator.
We will see..

For the next 2-3 months I pretty much won't be able to do anything as we have bought a house and will now start the process of selling my apartment. This means no spare time to do ROV work. :cry:
Hey Ole,
Congrats on the house!

I've come full circle on the control system and plan to use no laptop at all anymore. I think I'll be using at least one RaspPi (maybe two or more, possibly other boards) with a controller and small display topside. I plan to get back into the design and coding in the next few weeks so maybe I'll have an option for you as well. I'll keep you posted.
olegodo

Post by olegodo »

Slightly starting to get back to my endless ROV adventure now.
My significant other challenged me to build a tennisball throwing machine for our dog after she saw one on youtube. So I got heavily sidetracked by that for quite some time :P
Started out simple, but the features kept on piling up :lol: Getting close to completion now but waiting for spare parts for my 3d printer in order to complete it.

In ROV news.. I am currently testing 3d printed nylon bushings to use in the outrunner motors we are all using. Still too early to tell, but after 8 hours of running in water they seem to hold up nicely! They are quite small and and might be tricky to print if the printer is not fully calibrated.
I am using the Taulman 910 Alloy filament. Ridiculously strong stuff!
If this holds up and turns out to be usable it means you could buy one spool of that stuff and have enough to print a few thousand of them <><

I also have a new thruster idea I want to try out. Something quite different... :idea:

And I received a package from Germany today.. Rov-Control X3 board and some extras. Exiting stuff :D
Attachments
IMG_20160106_183246.jpg
IMG_20160106_183246.jpg (278.51 KiB) Viewed 5499 times