1,000 foot tether possible?

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
bluewavecaptain

1,000 foot tether possible?

Post by bluewavecaptain »

Pretty new to the underwater ROV world, but I know that I want to explore shipwrecks on the Great Lakes. Lake Michigan, at it's deepest point is 934 feet. I have the boat, have the computer, designs for an ROV, but I'm struggling with a tether that would be long enough to reach the bottom of the lake. Not sure if it's feasable or if I'm just dreaming. I've done some brief research with fiber optics but just wondering if there's any other viable options.

Thanks

Charlie
shaneb24

Re: 1,000 foot tether possible?

Post by shaneb24 »

1000 ft of cat 5 for signal control and on board batteries
ROV-Control

Post by ROV-Control »

we used a 1300feet cat 5 tether with on-board batteries without any problems.
sthone

Post by sthone »

Just remember a 1000' of cat5 still has some weight to it that you will need to be able to drag around to work at that depth... plus you will probably need longer than 1000' of tether to work at a depth of 900' because you will need some slack so to speak.

-Steve
Seadragon

Post by Seadragon »

I think for 1000' or more a hybrid system would be better. you can get 12v 7.5 Ah batteries in parallel and use the smaller 22 Ga. in the cat 6 wire to charge the batteries. The thrusters and cameras and lights can be pressure compensated with esso marcol 82, it is less viscous than baby oil but has good thermal conductivity for heat dissipation.

The umbilical can be pressure compensated also with tygon tubing, barbed hose fittings, and marcol. once you use the oil to compensate for pressure the oil it also makes the cable neutrally bouyant. the control boxes can use fiber optics using relay controls like this:

http://www.controlanything.com/Relay/Re ... FIBEROPTIC

the solid state relays I th ink would be a good option.

The thruster motor housings can be pressure compensated seperately from the controller case using the tygon, barbed hose fitting, wire and SS clamp combo.

The batteries can be pressure comped also by making a batterie housing and making small hole to top off with oil,then using gas permeable tape to cover the hole.

esso macol 82 is clear enough for the cameras and the lights. you can test it out with an old web camera for a computer in a glass of marcol.

Well I hope I can help more if you have questions.
SoakedinVancouver

Post by SoakedinVancouver »

Real good start, Seadragon!
Seadragon

Post by Seadragon »

SoakedinVancouver wrote:Real good start, Seadragon!