Fishing cameras

Our Eye's under the water.
Stargazerwa

Fishing cameras

Post by Stargazerwa »

I am thinking about using a fishing camera system for my ROV, does anyone have much experience with them? My biggest concern is getting a display I can see in the sunlight. These were the models I am considering :

http://www.cfish.com/underwater_fishing ... order.html

The more expensive one has an interesting feature in that it can pan back and fourth. Another interesting feature is an arrow on the screen that orients you with the direction the camera is pointing. I am not sure what technology it is using to figure that.

I am planning an ROV that I can use in Puget Sound and expect to go no deeper than 40'. Will lights help a cheap camera? I wasn't planning on adding lights, but maybe I should.

If I go the more conventional route and pot my own camera, does anyone have a good source for a sunlight readable monitor that could be used in a dinghy? I am not interested in using a laptop.
kenl

Re: Fishing cameras

Post by kenl »

Hi,

I have a couple of fishing cameras, the more expensive one that pans leaked from day 1, a friend of mine bought the same one and also has his fogging up from day one so it seems to be a trait.

That said the camera and the vision is great, the lights don't seem to make any difference, be they on or off when used at depths of up to 30m. (my deepest)
I have recently pulled my camera housing apart again, there are fine cracks in the bottom of the clear housing that were leaking, I have now poured epoxy in there to hopefully stop that, I have also made a new top for it, the other one broke up, perhaps from over tightening the screws when trying to fix the leaks before.

It has only ever let about a tablespoon of water in, having the camera and electronics suspended in the middle of the chamber has prevented anything from getting damaged.

The other Camera is a cheaper bullet Camera also sold on ebay, the lights are always on with that one, picture is ok but it is never pointing in the right direction.

As for day light viewable screens....... I've done the whole hiding under towels or trying to find that spot in the shade on your knees so that the screen can be seen. That was using a 7" car reversing screen in a case with the shade etc. I now have a echosounder with AV input that gives a good picture. I have also ordered a pair of cheap FPV video glasses and will modify them to block out all of the light, lets see how that goes.
Stargazerwa

Re: Fishing cameras or not

Post by Stargazerwa »

I tried calling the company today, no answer and no mention of their business name in their voicemail, maybe they will call back?? I want to find out about the brightness, rated depth etc. Concerning

This part of the project has been the toughest for me in the planning stage. I really want to be able to see the screen in daylight and want at least an ok image. Tons of these fishing cameras on the internet, lots of no name ones on eBay. Seems like they are $200 or less or $500 or above with scant reviews. Last night spent some time looking for decent sunlight readable screens that I could hook up to an inexpensive camera with no luck.

Let me pose my question another way. For $200 or less what do all of you think would be my best bet for a daylight viewable screen and a camera? I want ~60 feet of tether and the ability to view the bottom of Puget Sound in ~40 feet or less of water? I know for this price point I won't have a screen as bright as my chart plotter, I just don't want to be riding in a dinghy with a towel over my head!

This is a great forum and I can't wait to get started on my project.
kenl

Re: Fishing cameras

Post by kenl »

If you can get the screen out of an old Panasonic tough book many of them had 1500 nit screens that are daylight viewable, there are some conversion circuits that let you view AV input on them.

As far as the camera that I posted the picture of, I'm sure (not positive) they are all made in the same factory as a generic brand and then sold on. Some are optioned up with a compass and temp gauge but most are the bare bones model. I would hazard a guess that the only difference between the 20m and 50m model is the cable length.

But to answer your question, a cheap pair of video glasses http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261260750925 ... 1439.l2649 and a sealed bullet camera will nearly fit you budgethttp://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wide-Angle-C ... 7ae&_uhb=1

I bought a $25 camera and made a housing for it http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/370857052915 ... 1439.l2649