equations of Rov

Anything to do with Propulsion.
eng.hossam

equations of Rov

Post by eng.hossam »

Is any body know the equations i need in ROV .

besides Archimedes principle i want to know

1)drag equations
2)thruster Force
3)any other equations :D

thank you
rovdude

Re: equations of Rov

Post by rovdude »

I don't know any of those that you listed. Drag is usually a very complex equation (I might be wrong on that though). Thruster force is something that has to measured out. I have never tried it, but HERE is a thread, and they got some decent measurements.

On the other hand, two important equations are the force of gravity and force of buoyancy on the ROV. These two equations MUST be equal to achieve neutral buoyancy.

Fb = Vs*Pl*g

Where:
Fb = Force of buoyancy in Newtons
Vs = Volume of solid in meters cubed
Pl = Density of liquid in kg/meters cubed (for water it is exactly 1000)
g = Acceleration due to gravity in meters/sec/sec (9.8 on earth)

Fg = m*g

Where:
Fg = Force of gravity in Newtons
m = mass of ROV in kg
g = Acceleration due to gravity in meters/sec/sec (Again 9.8)

So neutral Buoyancy would be achieved when Fg = Fb.
Or if you want to achieve a slight positive/negative buoyancy, you can offset Fg or Fb, and you would have the exact force at which it is coming back to the surface or sinking.

If you are still working on the design/size aspect of your ROV, you can always rewrite your volume and mass as more basic equations that share a unit(like if you were using pipe, V = Pi*r^2 *H, and M = the mass of the pipe per meter(H).
jpWA

Post by jpWA »

This book has pretty much all you need to know to figure out buoyancy, drag, thruster force, and much more including power systems, control systems, and instructions to build a simple ROV
http://www.amazon.com/Underwater-Roboti ... 0984173706
eng.hossam

Post by eng.hossam »

jpWA wrote:This book has pretty much all you need to know to figure out buoyancy, drag, thruster force, and much more including power systems, control systems, and instructions to build a simple ROV
http://www.amazon.com/Underwater-Roboti ... 0984173706

Thank you