ROV Without a Name

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
Mgbss

Re: ROV Without a Name

Post by Mgbss »

The test plug has a band of rubber that pushes against the inside wall of the pipe, the Plug is wider on the out side so it can no way be pushed into the pipe. If pressure is pushing in on the sides of the pipe it only forces it into the Band of rubber even more think of it like a rubber O ring but instead of a machined fit it is forced against the side wall.
Also if and when I decide to dive deep with my ROV I can install the thread in plug as well and have two systems in place.

I will eventually do a deep test on it but the shop had 2" of snow (Four Letter Word) on the ground this morning so my water season is coming to an end, I will probably get it out again before ice but not sure if I will get to drop into deep water.
Mgbss

Post by Mgbss »

Some picture of the Electronics. Camera with servo for tilt, Battery 12v 3.3ah, Power dist block, and Speed controls (Viper 15 amp reversing water proof)
Attachments
DSCN1359.JPG
DSCN1359.JPG (235.25 KiB) Viewed 4095 times
DSCN1358.JPG
DSCN1358.JPG (234.77 KiB) Viewed 4095 times
DSCN1357.JPG
DSCN1357.JPG (237.63 KiB) Viewed 4095 times
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

I like the camera tilt mechanism. I had a similar idea for a RaspPi camera since you can easily turn the ROV to see left/right, but the tilt is a bit more difficult.

I see you're going with lead acid type battery. Have you read up on them? I don't know if they're recommended for enclosed spaces. I think they 'off gas' when they're running and therefore shouldn't be kept in a sealed container.

I don't know this from personal experience, but I did think that was the reason people generally go with Lipos.
Mgbss

Post by Mgbss »

Thanks

The camera came with a pan and tilt bracket so it was easy to configure at least for the tilt and like you said move the ROV for right to left.

The battery is a gel cell no vents in he battery completely sealed so should be no off gassing.
Under_The_Surface

Post by Under_The_Surface »

hey
What amp does each motor draw?
fireslayer26

Post by fireslayer26 »

Mgbss wrote:As mentioned above I am using 4" test plug to seal off the back and gain access to the electronics. I was originally going to use the standard screw in plug but it needs messy sealer on it and you have to wrench on it to get it tight enough for a good seal, this is s much easier and faster
DSCN1332.JPG
Also I have an on off switch and charge plugs at the back so I have to do is remove the plug to turn on or off and charge battery
I will be using the exact same method (and plug) for my project.
Mgbss

Post by Mgbss »

Under_The_Surface wrote:hey
What amp does each motor draw?
Sorry
I haven't been on in a while, I think it is around 7 or 8 but am running them on 15 amp speed controls, hope that helps
Mgbss

Post by Mgbss »

Well I thought I had put it away for the winter, but some Inspections came up and someone had asked if I thought my ROV could do the inspections instead of cutting more ice to dive, so I said I would give it a try. Worked great wound up doing 7 days of inspections with it down to about 17' so the rear plug will work that far down anyway.

Still need to come up with a better impeller for the vertical thruster as it really doesn't like to come up if its slightly heavy, either that or add a second vertical thruster. I may flip the impeller over and try to have more lift than descend, or also thinking of a airplane prop, any thoughts?

The video was adequate but I will be replacing the camera trying to get less noise at low light and even a better picture. This camera came with my dome, was thought to not even work, but its only a 480 TVL and doesn't have any of the modern NR (noise reduction) or WDR (wide dynamic range). I think I am going to try a Pixm Seawolf that a lot of the Flying FPV guys like.

If I can figure out how to get a video on I will post one of the inspections I did.
Billrose

Post by Billrose »

I would love to see some video of your dives..!

On the point of the vertical thruster I think you need more clear water for the prop to work more efficiently.

Regards. <><

Ps like the MG fridge...
Mgbss

Post by Mgbss »

Billrose wrote:I would love to see some video of your dives..!

On the point of the vertical thruster I think you need more clear water for the prop to work more efficiently.

Regards. <><

Ps like the MG fridge...
Thanks Bill
Do you think The shroud is the problem or the floats? When I had cut the shrouds out I tested in the sink but maybe I should trim them out more and test with device like Steve had built, I need to do that anyway as I have a bigger motor (1100GPH) coming and a 60mm prop to test.

"The MG Fridge" you had me scratching my head for a minute for a minute :roll: My magnetic Vent cover for when I wash my Car ( Modified 71 MG B) usually stuck on the Freezer in the garage :sting: