ROV Without a Name

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
Mgbss

ROV Without a Name

Post by Mgbss »

Ok
So its built and has been flown twice so I guess its now an ROV and not a Plumbing experiment :D

This project started as a copy of the plans I got from the guy in England most here have probably seen it, Black PVC pipe looks kinda like a sub. Anyway I have made several changes to the plans but it does resemble it.

The first trial flight was mostly getting it balanced, in its original form the balance was very touchy so I added the upper 1.25" pipes for lift and better balance.

The Rov system is as follows:
3 500gph bilge pump cartridges 12v with 50mm props, 4" sched 40 main hull, 2" Pvc motor mounts, 1.5" Pvc is what the pond LED lights are mounted in.

Camera is a GE surveillance camera that I purchased off E-bay for the camera and the Lexan dome.

The Rov is controlled off of a Rc 6 channel radio using the Rx to control 3 speed controls, servo for the camera and a switch to turn on and off the lights.

In the back just under the 4" test plug I have an on-off switch and banana plug ports to check voltage of the on board battery and to charge the 12v battery.

The tether is waterproof cat 5 but is way heavy even with 2 strands of 3/8" poly rope attached it still sinks and creates a lot of drag, I will be changing to a light 4 strand security wire with a single strand of 3/8 poly rope in order to try and make it float.

I will in the following days try to get several pictures up with info pertaining to the different systems.
Attachments
Rov with added 1.25" pipe for extra lift and stability
Rov with added 1.25" pipe for extra lift and stability
DSCN1338.JPG (235.02 KiB) Viewed 6961 times
Rov for 1st flight before adding more Flotation pipe
Rov for 1st flight before adding more Flotation pipe
DSCN1327.JPG (236.28 KiB) Viewed 6963 times
Last edited by Mgbss on Nov 3rd, 2013, 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mgbss

Re: ROV Without a Name

Post by Mgbss »

A couple different looks
Attachments
DSCN1337.JPG
DSCN1337.JPG (241.33 KiB) Viewed 6961 times
DSCN1335.JPG
DSCN1335.JPG (231.95 KiB) Viewed 6961 times
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

I like the design and the way you combined some things to make it all work together. I have to say though if I'm being honest you might want to dress it up a bit though. I'm sure it's completely functional but the wiring looks a bit messy and maybe a little paint would make it look less like 'plumbing' and more like an ROV.

The loose wiring is a possible snag hazard as well I would think.

The skids are cool and I like the dome. How is the video quality and how does it handle?

Also, how well does that Cherne key work as your back door? Does it seal well enough? Cool idea for an easy access panel.
Mgbss

Post by Mgbss »

Yes it looks bad at the moment but made no sense to make it look good if it wasn't going to stay together.

But it does handle well and all the tying off the wires and making it look better will happen, still working out little things I am considering a second up/down thruster so not everything is permanent yet

The test plug works great way better than The screw in plug I was going to use one of those ideas that came at the last minute
Mgbss

Post by Mgbss »

As mentioned above I am using 4" test plug to seal off the back and gain access to the electronics. I was originally going to use the standard screw in plug but it needs messy sealer on it and you have to wrench on it to get it tight enough for a good seal, this is s much easier and faster
Expanding rubber test plug
Expanding rubber test plug
DSCN1332.JPG (237.49 KiB) Viewed 6909 times
Also I have an on off switch and charge plugs at the back so I have to do is remove the plug to turn on or off and charge battery
Attachments
On Off switch and battery charge
On Off switch and battery charge
DSCN1333.JPG (235 KiB) Viewed 6908 times
Zaibach

Post by Zaibach »

Looks good :)
So how well is that screw gasket seal thing working and to about what depth have you gotten it.
Been thinking about using a standard cleanout myself but the point about it being a pain to work with opening/closing etc does raise some concerns about ease of access.
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

I didn't mean to make you think I was insulting your design, it looks and works much better than mine (which right now is a pile of plastic parts, two circuit boards, a camera and a bunch of grand ideas still in my head).

That Cherne key at the back is brilliant and I'm think I may adopt that at least until I get my design finalized. Those things are designed to handle some pretty good pressure. Good thing about this use is that the pressure is outside pushing in, so it's going to be even stronger than the standard use which is holding water pressure IN.

Can't wait to see the final version and the camera pan/tilt.
Mgbss

Post by Mgbss »

a_shorething wrote:I didn't mean to make you think I was insulting your design, it looks and works much better than mine (which right now is a pile of plastic parts, two circuit boards, a camera and a bunch of grand ideas still in my head).

Not at all I have had to many projects in the past that were picture perfect and then had to re- design or cut them back apart

That Cherne key at the back is brilliant and I'm think I may adopt that at least until I get my design finalized. Those things are designed to handle some pretty good pressure. Good thing about this use is that the pressure is outside pushing in, so it's going to be even stronger than the standard use which is holding water pressure IN.

Thanks the first time I pressure tested with the screw in plug trying to get it tight enough and then trying to get it lose again made me start looking for something better. I have not tested the Test plug past 5' yet but will and am not scared of it at all.

Can't wait to see the final version and the camera pan/tilt.
I will have the Electronics pulled back out when I get home again later in the week will have more pictures then
Mgbss

Post by Mgbss »

Zaibach wrote:Looks good :)
So how well is that screw gasket seal thing working and to about what depth have you gotten it.
Been thinking about using a standard cleanout myself but the point about it being a pain to work with opening/closing etc does raise some concerns about ease of access.

Thanks I haven't tested the plug past 5 ft yet but will, originally I was going to use both the Test plug and the screw in plug but really the rubber gasket being force against the PVC makes way more sense than a plastic thread, to me anyway
rossrov

Post by rossrov »

Bung is a brilliant idea if I may say so, but I too wonder just what it seals up against. Shiny plastic? A shoulder down the pipe to stop it getting pushed in too far by depth pressure?