New ROV design/build *JaxExplorer1*

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
Oldsirhippy

Re: New ROV design/build *JaxExplorer1*

Post by Oldsirhippy »

Ref: the ROV-control X3 board.

Have you been able to contact them to buy one of their boards?

I have now sent a number of emails that have remained unanswered.

Are they in business?
fireslayer26

Post by fireslayer26 »

MAC99 wrote:this is grate info and some very good ideas.
I would like to ask about the LED s at 10w 3a are you attaching them to the brass for cooling I am interested in the potting and workability of covering the LED I read the specs maybe it isn't in need of cooling 8-)

MAC
That wasn't my initial intention, but yes the brass should work well as a heat sink. Though, with these tiny LED's I don't think heat will be a problem. You probably could pot the whole thing, but the LED's have a small bubble of gel covering the actual LED board, so I potted all around it without actually covering the gel. I just didn't want to mess with the light distribution. But if you do it right I'm sure you can cover it.
scubersteve wrote:Boy those thruster housings sure do look familiar.
Good progress.
<><
Yes, scubersteve, I saw someone else on the forum here use them..... I just..... can't remember..... who it was?? ;)
fireslayer26

Post by fireslayer26 »

Oldsirhippy wrote:Ref: the ROV-control X3 board.

Have you been able to contact them to buy one of their boards?

I have now sent a number of emails that have remained unanswered.

Are they in business?
Yes, it is a real business. I have been talking with the creator a lot, I will be doing a beta test for him. I don't believe they are actually selling them yet, but soon. When I receive my boards I will update my thread here.
fireslayer26

Post by fireslayer26 »

Camera pan/tilt installed

Clear dome installed into PVC coupling, which will house the camera

Clear drying silicone was applied around the rim on the inside of the coupling, then the dome inserted. When this dries I will add more to fill the rest of the gap.
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

Nice! How well does the camera fit and pivot inside that dome?

Looks like 3"PVC which means your dome radius is about 2"?

Also, I like how there's a board that's marked 'board'. :)
fireslayer26

Post by fireslayer26 »

It's actually 4" pvc. The dome is 4" diameter, 1/4" thick, 2" high, with a 1/4" lip. I know its kinda hard to see, but the board has "X3 board" written on it. LOL Its where the control board will sit.

a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

Very cool. It must be rewarding to have things actually going together and fitting in.

I still have an amorphous pile of parts that may or may not work together along with a still unfinished final design swirling around in my head.

Looking forward to more posts...
Zaibach

Post by Zaibach »

Looking cool :)

Definitely interested in seeing how the X³ handles. Also the Linear actuator is waterproof or are you modifying one and how much did the X³ and actuator(s) run if you don't mind my asking?
a_shorething wrote:I still have an amorphous pile of parts that may or may not work together along with a still unfinished final design swirling around in my head.
Hmm that sounds strangely and depressingly familiar :P
Oldsirhippy

Post by Oldsirhippy »

@fireslayer26
A couple of questions:
1. Can you post who supplied you the 1/4" thick dome please? I am interested in a 3" diameter dome, but have only seen domes with < 1/4" thickness.
2. I can only see one servo in your pan and tilt camera mount, I think it is the tilt servo - where is the pan servo hidden?

I am looking forward to your feedback on the x3 control board, it looks to be a great little board that should meet many if not all of my ROV requirements.
fireslayer26

Post by fireslayer26 »

Oldsirhippy wrote:@fireslayer26
A couple of questions:
1. Can you post who supplied you the 1/4" thick dome please? I am interested in a 3" diameter dome, but have only seen domes with < 1/4" thickness.
2. I can only see one servo in your pan and tilt camera mount, I think it is the tilt servo - where is the pan servo hidden?

I am looking forward to your feedback on the x3 control board, it looks to be a great little board that should meet many if not all of my ROV requirements.
1. http://www.eztopsworldwide.com/smalldomes.htm

2. It's just a little hidden. Look at the first pic again. You will see the top of it just below the camera. The servo wire is coming out of the bottom.