VideoRay Clone?

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
Demon340

VideoRay Clone?

Post by Demon340 »

Well, I just threw this together in a matter of days. Everything is built minus the side pods for thrusters and lights. The flotation block is syntactic foam, which supposedly is good to depths. We shall see... I loved the Video ray design and me being a complete Rtard having no idea how to reverse engineer things, figured I'll give this a whirl. It looks plausible. Everything in the Sketch-up design is measured out to be exact size to the real life counter parts. Once I figure out how to make the pvc reducers in sketch-up I'll add them to the back of the pods for my prop shrouds. My pod domes are a little funky at the moment. I'm still trying to figure out how to use this thing.

The landing struts are just aluminum, I can add some lead weights soon as I get this thing in the water and see where ballast will be needed. The cartridge style bilge pumps will be used for side and upper motors. Everything is off the shelf to build this which actually is really cheap. The housing is a pretty thick clear pvc pipe, dome is from a security camera from harbor freight which I got from an idea off a post on this site. The dome is actually pretty darn thick and I can squeeze it pretty hard in my hand and it flexes very little so it should make it to my 100' depth, not that I can find anything that deep in Rhode Island anyway. The struts are just aluminum rods cut to length, drilled and tapped.

Its going to be a lake and pond skirmisher for now, due to its small stature. I'll add the pictures of the upper housing tomorrow, as I seemingly only have just the skids. Electronics will be simple, just switches and relays, nothing fancy as of yet. Everything will be mounted to a sheet of Lexan or acrylic that will slide in the back through the removable end cap. The top thruster is going be somehow molded onto the top so it sits decently inside the foam float block. I machined a little recess for the dome to fit in and ill glue it in place then seal it up. Should work...theoretically. I cant cut straight lines or curves to save my life so the float block will look more like a deranged football, as I'll post tomorrow. I'm probably going to cut another piece if this thing actually works to keep up with aesthetic appeal.

Any questions, please just ask. I'll post more quickly as this thing is going together really fast.
Attachments
Here is idea where the top thruster will be sitting. Don't mind the other holes, this is sample piece I hacked up for reference and other pieces.
Here is idea where the top thruster will be sitting. Don't mind the other holes, this is sample piece I hacked up for reference and other pieces.
IMG_20130731_184114_595.jpg (709.42 KiB) Viewed 4747 times
Side.jpg
Side.jpg (90.41 KiB) Viewed 5067 times
All parts used so far.
All parts used so far.
Parts.jpg (85.79 KiB) Viewed 5067 times
Angle2.jpg
Angle2.jpg (705.09 KiB) Viewed 5067 times
Angle.jpg
Angle.jpg (117.57 KiB) Viewed 5067 times
The real life struts. There just pushed inside the plastic with drilled holes and glued. Going to add jb weld or some good epoxy resin to hold them permanently.
The real life struts. There just pushed inside the plastic with drilled holes and glued. Going to add jb weld or some good epoxy resin to hold them permanently.
Struts.jpg (570.79 KiB) Viewed 5083 times
FullTop.jpg
FullTop.jpg (101.68 KiB) Viewed 5086 times
Fullside.jpg
Fullside.jpg (144.83 KiB) Viewed 5086 times
Fullback.jpg
Fullback.jpg (129.88 KiB) Viewed 5086 times
Last edited by Demon340 on Jul 31st, 2013, 9:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
jonnyhas

Re: VideoRay Clone?

Post by jonnyhas »

Looks good demon keep up the good work :D
jpWA

Post by jpWA »

Are you planning on leaving that threaded cap unglued to acsess the electronics? if so, what depth do you think it will go to without leeking.

I am trying to use that part in that way, but it is very difficult to fit a o-ring in the seal.
Demon340

Post by Demon340 »

Well, I plan on just using Teflon tape, a few wraps around the cap threads should do it. I'd imagine it should go fairly deep as we use this size tubing at work with quite a bit of water pressure running through it. I reckon if it can keep water inside, it should keep water out in theory. Find out shortly.

jpWA wrote:Are you planning on leaving that threaded cap unglued to acsess the electronics? if so, what depth do you think it will go to without leeking.

I am trying to use that part in that way, but it is very difficult to fit a o-ring in the seal.
jpWA

Post by jpWA »

Thanks
bigbadbob

Post by bigbadbob »

I'll be watching this with interest. Had a shot of a videoray the other day which re-kindled my interest in my build.
How do you plan on mounting the vertical motor? Video ray have theirs inside the pressure hull.
I havnt got room for that and dont want to flood the hull if the shaft seal leaks so i'm keen to get ideas from yours. ;-)
Demon340

Post by Demon340 »

Well, I was planning on taking one of those 750gmp cartridge style bilge pumps, hacking off the fat part, and potting the thin portion inside one of those one and half inch reducers with a threaded end or whichever size I can find that fits the best. I'm going drill and tap the top of the main hull so I can just screw in the motor assembly with some Teflon tape and that should theoretically work. Stuff works under pressure and is proven so I don't see why it won't. If the motor dies eventually, I'll just unscrew it and pot a new one and screw the new one in. I'm trying to keep everything modular so I have don't to hack apart anything due to failures. I added a picture on top of post so you can get an idea of what I mean. Its screwed into the threads I made. That's a 1 1/2". looks a big but I need to find a small diameter and well that's the general idea. Thanks for your interest.
bigbadbob wrote:I'll be watching this with interest. Had a shot of a videoray the other day which re-kindled my interest in my build.
How do you plan on mounting the vertical motor? Video ray have theirs inside the pressure hull.
I havnt got room for that and dont want to flood the hull if the shaft seal leaks so i'm keen to get ideas from yours. ;-)
Demon340

Camera System

Post by Demon340 »

Here is my quick camera getup I threw together real quick. Its run by a Ardunio and a thumb joystick. Has pan and tilt and works perfect. Bigger servos were too big so the smaller ones will work perfectly. I'll get it mounted permanently and into the hull shortly but should fit nicely behind the dome.
Attachments
Camera setup
Camera setup
rsz_img_20130731_185247_061.jpg (215.91 KiB) Viewed 4743 times
ChaseNoble

Re: Camera System

Post by ChaseNoble »

Demon340 wrote:Here is my quick camera getup I threw together real quick. Its run by a Ardunio and a thumb joystick. Has pan and tilt and works perfect. Bigger servos were too big so the smaller ones will work perfectly. I'll get it mounted permanently and into the hull shortly but should fit nicely behind the dome.
That's quite amazing my design is vary close to yours, how did you wire the 2 axis joystick up? Got any schematics?
ChaseNoble

Post by ChaseNoble »

I almost forgot what do you plan on using for thrusters ?