Working ROV #2

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
fryslan76

Re: Working ROV #2

Post by fryslan76 »

If you are going to use an Arduino in the ROV consider a compas and gyro. Also put some thought about communication between the Arduino and your control on shore.
timothyalderson

Post by timothyalderson »

Ok. What is needed for communication? I can make anything but I don't know what to make or use. I have zero knowledge with arduino. And a compass etc would be nice. I'm looking at the OPENROV kits know but still want this one working also.
Attachments
a.JPG
a.JPG (688.22 KiB) Viewed 2290 times
g.JPG
g.JPG (592.89 KiB) Viewed 2290 times
h.JPG
h.JPG (537.11 KiB) Viewed 2290 times
fryslan76

Post by fryslan76 »

See some of the other ROV projects around here for communication, most I have seen are either serial or UTP and then TCP/IP or UDP. Openrov is using TCP/IP over a powerline network adapter.

BTW those pictures look awesome.
KR2_Diving
Location: Currently: NW Suburbs of Chicago. Originally: NE Wisconsin

Post by KR2_Diving »

Hey Tim!
If you are willing to tinker with Arduino, I can suggest a few ready to go libraries that you can essentially copy paste into your unit and roll with it!

I am using RS485 coms in full duplex mode on my ROV. I have posted quite a bit on my build page. Feel free to drop me a PM if you have any specific questions!

Advantage to RS485 vs Ethernet:
Only 4 wires required! (Ethernet needs 8!)
Simple protocol
Long distance transmission possible! (Ethernet limit 100m, RS485 2000m)
For hobbiests: cheaper to source components!

Disadvantage:
Not suitable for video transmission (however, in my case, I am using video baluns, so with the 4 extra wires in the CAT5 cable I'm using, I can transmit 2 live feeds with no lag and minimal signal degredation!)
Limited bandwidth
Would require a small amount of soldering to set up.

I am communicating between 2 arduinos. Total cost is less then 100 GBP. (Less then 150 USD)
2 - arduino (30-75gpb depending on model)
2 - max488 chips (8gbp total)
2 - resistors (pennies)
1 - tilt compensated compass (provides bearing, pitch and roll values) (25gbp)
Done! (I got my tether for free...)
timothyalderson

So any two Arduinos will work? I was looking at the Uno. What about the motor Control?
KR2_Diving
Location: Currently: NW Suburbs of Chicago. Originally: NE Wisconsin

Post by KR2_Diving »

Yup! Two arduino Unos would be prefect! One in your rov, and one on the surface. In my case I have oa Mega in the ROV because I want to have lots of sensors. But an uno would be fine. If you are not familar with Arduino, a set of Unos may be best because most of the examples online are based on the Uno. (Besure you get Rev3)!
timothyalderson

Ok guys I got my new end caps machined and a new tube done. Should start getting it together again soon