Joystick with arduino

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
Mizuel1

Joystick with arduino

Post by Mizuel1 »

I will be building my first ROV, so I'm not so experienced with programming and electrical stuff. I was wondering if I could have some ideas on how to control the ROV. I was thinking to be able to control it using a joystick and arduino UNO. The problem is I don't know what to buy (e.i buy motor controls or speed control). Could I have a list on what to buy, so I can be able to control it using a joystick and arduino UNO? Thank you.
robe_uk

Re: Joystick with arduino

Post by robe_uk »

Hi
Unfortunately I would say you are facing an up hill battle if as you say you have no experience programming or electronics, I am not sure about any off the shelf solution currently available for the hobbyist which would not require spending $$$$.
There has been loads of rov's built using relays and switches for control, look around this site for information on this and on building rov's.
As far as motors go there are so many options available thats its nearly impossible to recommend a setup, although I am using RC brushless motors and ESC with custom controllers/firmware, this route has meant am years in building rather than a simpler control setup.

Read through this site and search with google then decide what you want to achieve and go from there.

Good luck Rob
eska-dh

Re: Joystick with arduino

Post by eska-dh »

My first electronics project was with an arduino and PS2 controller to control motors for an rc rock crawler about three years ago. That evolved into using some bilge pumps from a boat and a motor controller shield for an arduino to begin building an ROV. From there the hacking began.

For ROV, this site has been developing quite nicely. But, I would also look at vendor sites like sparkfun or search other forums for robot building.

Again, if you're doing this learn, this site is a great start but don't constrain yourself.

Good luck!