Attaching relays to micro controller?

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
Aphire

Attaching relays to micro controller?

Post by Aphire »

im using bosch 5 pin relays for my thrusters, or atleast trying to. how would i attach these to a breadboard on a microcontroller? i know what number to use, but i dont know how to attach it, any ideas?
Attachments
buelerrelay.jpg
buelerrelay.jpg (48.3 KiB) Viewed 2143 times
KR2_Diving
Location: Currently: NW Suburbs of Chicago. Originally: NE Wisconsin

Re: Attaching relays to micro controller?

Post by KR2_Diving »

I would try using these quick disconnects to connect to the blades of the relay. I would then have some solid core wire attached to the disconnects with one end stripped back about 1/4". This would be a nice quick way to connect the relay to a bread board for quick testing...

Another option would be to solder some wires directly to the relays, but that is a bit more of a "permanent" solution.
thegadgetguy

Post by thegadgetguy »

Keep in mind that you will most likely have to use a transistor to amplify the current going to the relay. Most relays require more current than a microcontroller can source.
rossrov

Post by rossrov »

You've probably got the relays sorted now, but yes, solder is really best, and easiest, and if your micro board does not have relay drive ability (another chip or transistors already on it) you will definitely need to add one or the other. The ULN2003 is a 16-pin IC designed specifically for driving relays and solenoids. Very common, available anywhere and one chip can do up to 7 relays, and no need to add any additional components. Put it in a socket though, so no need to de-solder if you blow one up.

Alternatively, there are relay boards pre-made and cheap from the likes of Sparkfun etc. They use the same or similar chip, but it is surface-mount so is fiddly to replace. Also the relay contact current rating may not be adequate for your application.