Basic questions

Spot for your general beginner questions.
Aphire

Basic questions

Post by Aphire »

So ive had this PVC pipe sitting in the garage for years and i want to build a ROV with it. i have a few questions

1. what is the easiest way to attach motors, cameras, lights, etc to pvc pipe?

2. what is the different between thrusters and propellers, if any? ive noticed people use both

3. where can i find cheap good quality parts in the USA?

4. what are some good flotation devices?

5. what kind of cameras can i use? i have a old webcam and some usb extenders, could i just build a case for it?

6. what kind of motors are used for moving arms and rotating cameras?

7. plastic or metal propellers?

thanks for the help!!
KR2_Diving
Location: Currently: NW Suburbs of Chicago. Originally: NE Wisconsin

Re: Basic questions

Post by KR2_Diving »

Whoa there! You get right to the point! :lol:

Albeit you are asking all the right questions! I can give a few hints for most of these points... but i definitely recommend cruising around the forum! It is not to over whelming and there is a lot of great info out there!
1. what is the easiest way to attach motors, cameras, lights, etc to pvc pipe?
The trick is to not weaken the integrity of the hull(PVC Pipe!) Zip Tys, Pipe Clamps. and purpose built frames are the most common.
2. what is the different between thrusters and propellers, if any? ive noticed people use both
I would say a thruster is made up of a motor and a propeller (as well as all the extra hardware to connect the two and hold it to the frame). A propeller is just the spinny bit at the end!
3. where can i find cheap good quality parts in the USA?
You will find most of your supplies online. I tend to use http://www.hobbyking.com quite a bit, but the delivery times can sometimes be a bit long, especially if you do not pay the premium for shipping.
Other places include:
http://www.adafruit.com/
http://www.sparkfun.com/
4. what are some good flotation devices?
This is the part that each builder has some room to play with... it depends on budget and what you have access to. There are lots of hints floating around in the forums!
:|
5. what kind of cameras can i use? i have a old webcam and some usb extenders, could i just build a case for it?
USB extenders is a hit and miss... it all depends on the hardware and the length of the tether. Personally I am going to use some video baluns to extend my RCA out from an old GoPro I have lying around. Others are using Ethernet and IP security cameras... again... budget and tether length vs signal quality are the two limiting factors here.
6. what kind of motors are used for moving arms and rotating cameras?
If you are talking about moving cameras inside a dry housing, there are plenty of servo options out there that are very easy to use. For wet mounting, I have no info to contribute, but I do recall reading a few tips on Steve's Website.
7. plastic or metal propellers?
At the end of the day, it is all about budget. Plastic propellers are as cheap as $1. Metal onces usually start at 10x that amount.

Hope that gives you a good place to start with your project!

Ryan
"KR2_Diving"
Aphire

Re: Basic questions

Post by Aphire »

Thanks so much!!