video capture directly to external hard drive

Our Eye's under the water.
chiliman77

video capture directly to external hard drive

Post by chiliman77 »

Hi,

I just got my board camera and some video baluns and am trying to set up my video. I have an RCA output for the video feed to a monitor, but I don't want to bring a computer with me when I use the ROV. I do, however, want to capture the video that I record.

I've been searching online for the right thing, but don't know if I'm searching with the wrong vocabulary or what. That, combined with my limited knowledge of electronic media, is making this difficult.

What I would like to do is take my RCA output and probably run it through a splitter. Then, one connector will go to my monitor, and the other will go to some device that will capture my video directly to a file on a hard drive. (SD card or USB external drive, something easy).

Can anyone follow what I want to do here and is there anything like that available?

My cheap digital camera records video to an SD card, therefore my brain tells me there should be something cheap and easy to do this....

Thanks for the help.
thegadgetguy

Re: video capture directly to external hard drive

Post by thegadgetguy »

I believe what you are looking for would be called a "portable DVR" (DVR = Digital Video Recorder) or perhaps "pocket DVR". Here is a link to one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/KJB-DVR502-HD-Han ... ndheld+dvr

They are kind of a special item, so it might cost you a little. You could also look into video cameras that let you record onto them from an external source.

Hope this at least gives you an idea of what you are looking for ;)
jonnyhas

Post by jonnyhas »

Hello chiliman, I use an archos av700 they are an old digital video device you can pick up cheap in eBay it may be what you need :D
m_g

Post by m_g »

Hi Chiliman

Sandisk v-mates take an analog signal and records onto an SD card. You could plug your RCA (with a 3.5 mm adapter) straight into the Vmate
http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/File/pdf/ ... ochure.pdf

I have used them in the past with CCTV cameras. If you cant find them online anymore, let me know, as I have a few spare I could sell you cheap (postage from Oz though).

Cheers

mg