Current work in progress.

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
PaulC

Re: Current work in progress.

Post by PaulC »

Hey gang,
I just wanted to show you how the rov is shaping up. Remember that there are still two other side plates to go on to protect the lateral thrusters, lights, and sensor array. Oh, by the way the strut were cut with a hacksaw. The struts are made of all thread so that I can "Dial in the compression of the o-rings that seal the end caps to the polycarbonate tubes where the camera and electronics are housed.
Attachments
ROV_perspective.jpg
ROV_perspective.jpg (205.35 KiB) Viewed 3258 times
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

Just wanted to show you all the progress that is being made on the new rov. Still a far from finished. It currently weighs about 6.8 pounds.
Attachments
This angle is from the back showing a possible placement for one of the thrusters, but I may move it further to the front.
This angle is from the back showing a possible placement for one of the thrusters, but I may move it further to the front.
100_1094.JPG (181.85 KiB) Viewed 3242 times
Just another angle from the front.
Just another angle from the front.
100_1093.JPG (174.45 KiB) Viewed 3242 times
This is from the front of the ROV, but these are not the lights that are going on it.  They are just stand ins.
This is from the front of the ROV, but these are not the lights that are going on it. They are just stand ins.
100_1092.JPG (178.7 KiB) Viewed 3242 times
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

Hey folks, just wanted to drop a line saying that I just acquired the new aircraft aluminum strut material, and hardware. Can't wait to get all the struts rebuilt its gonna take a lot of weight out of the rov, and also make it corrosion resistant YAY! Does mean more work but hey when it is freezing outside what else is one gonna do on a nasty day like today.
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

Well the new struts are done and I was right it took a lot and I mean a lot of weight off of the rov. Just need to rebuild the outer struts which means that I need to order more aluminum nuts and maybe washers.
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

Hey gang I need your help. Like I said I got the new aluminum struts built, but need more washers and nuts for the outer side plates. Which only act as bumpers so to speak. If I put them back on then the rear thrusters will be moved forward to protect the kort nozzles. My question is is should I leave the outer sides off or put them back on? Any feedback would be nice.
Forest

Post by Forest »

wow the it looks like a professional grade ROV :D
tazdevl77

Post by tazdevl77 »

PaulC, I'd leave them off. Less weight and less drag. Most ROV's I have looked at don't have protective plates and bumpers on them. Tim
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

Thanks for all the comments and recommendations. I believe that I will leave them off for now. Do you think that I should move the lateral thrusters forward?
tazdevl77

Post by tazdevl77 »

I would tuck the thrusters more forward if you could, make the ROV more compact and it will add a level of protection.. TIm
Forest

Post by Forest »

what type of thrusters are you using for your ROV? :?: