bilge vs brushless

Anything to do with Propulsion.
theinlinaung

Re: bilge vs brushless

Post by theinlinaung »

perfo wrote:I'm using a very flexible fiber optic at the moment with on board power ... hmmm I should say (for correctness) I plan to use fiber optic. I've got the fiber and it is pretty flexible and light weight compared to cat 5 or other tether..
How much would it cost for fiber + transmitter + receiver?
perfo

Post by perfo »

Well I got my media converters from eBay second hand, I was lucky and got them for £5. Rather than going for a straight media converter I looked out for a four port switch with a fiber port and thus I can connect my cameras etc on a different port and not type in the control system CPU..

Here's a simple media converter that would do....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tyco-Fibre-Me ... 1e9a0d575c

And another.
Of course try and make sure the voltage it runs on is the same as your ROV batteries or make arrangements for another supply. Mine are happy on 12v which appears to be fairly common. Also there seems to be two main types of connector used on these things so get the right connectors on your tether. My converter and fiber tether have different ends on but that's ok as I have a short section of fiber converting from one to the other and I'm using a male to male bulk head connector to go through the hull of the ROV and allow me to plug and unplug the tether at will. SO I've gone for ST ends on my tether then an ST-ST barrle then short section of ST -SC fiber and the converter is SC type...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Optronics-MC0 ... 2edd27f27f

As for multi mode or single mode. Multi mode is a bit fatter normally and is less sensitive to connection errors and is good for something like 600m so that would be the one to go.

Fiber optic cable comes in all sorts of designs some ruggedised which is stiff so no good... semi ruggedised is more flexible but costs more for something you don't need. As I'm only going for a max of 30 m I've gone for a pre made fiber patch cable. The patch cables are for linking ports on routers or patch bays and are designed to be flexible and take a bit of pulling and tugging.. They aren't that hardy but will do for what we want I think... This is a link to a typical patch cable ..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fibre-Patch-L ... 2a37cc6632

and bulk head connectors..though you can get much better ones than these for more £'s I'm going to glue the one in side the hull to prevent water getting in through the connector..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AVAGO-TECHNOL ... 2a1e403a06

So I haven't really answered your question as if you buy it all new then the costs can be what ever you can dream of probably.. My kit as I ferreted about and got them from here and there probably cost me about £20... The pre made patch cables are of a price I will probably take a couple of them with me when ever I fly just in case.
Hmmm do we fly (pilot) ROVs or drive them ? I hope this helps....
perfo

Post by perfo »

I Just spotted the other part of your question, transmitter receiver. We'll the advantage of going for Ethernet compatible fiber and hubs is you can us any network capable device as TX/ RX. I'm using a raspberry pi on the ROV end and a float with a WiFi hub in (£5 worth) at the other end. I will connect to the ROV from a laptop (or phone/tablet if you'd rather) over WIFI. Any team members or bystanders can be given access to the camera for viewing only if they wish without interfering with the control side...
theinlinaung

Post by theinlinaung »

perfo wrote:I Just spotted the other part of your question, transmitter receiver. We'll the advantage of going for Ethernet compatible fiber and hubs is you can us any network capable device as TX/ RX. I'm using a raspberry pi on the ROV end and a float with a WiFi hub in (£5 worth) at the other end. I will connect to the ROV from a laptop (or phone/tablet if you'd rather) over WIFI. Any team members or bystanders can be given access to the camera for viewing only if they wish without interfering with the control side...
If the fiber works via ethernet, your wifi hub would be in ethernet interface? Or with an ethernet-USB adapter?
perfo

Post by perfo »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Belkin-F5D763 ... 20f6de0acd

Something like this will do and you can get them cheaper or even for nothing as a lot of folks have old ones kicking about..

I'm sure you know all this but in case some one reading doesn't I just wanted to clarify that Ethernet is the protocol ie it is the language these common network thing speak. Just like us we can write it, shout it use telephones etc you can transmit Ethernet in loads of different ways but it will all be the same language. Its a little more complex than that in the real world but if you think of it as the language you are on the right tracks..
As for WIFI hubs there are many different types... some are locked down to a particular use and have to be hacked to release them for general use. some of the BT hubs are like this and need fiddling with to use. But any of the net-gear or general hubs are open to be configured a you like. If you have already have a network then you'll need this hub to act as an access point (AP) not a router... This means it will pass any info on the main net through to whatever's connected to it and vice versa , the hub wont try and organise the network, that will be left to something else already on the network (the DHCP server). If you haven't already got a network set up then one of you devices (either Raspberry pi, Hub or Laptop) will need to be set up as the network controller and organise everything. The simplest way of doing this is often to set your Laptop up as WIFI hot spot but for most Hubs I've seen this is pretty easy to do on the hub as well providing it has the router capability ie isn't just a switch..
theinlinaung

Post by theinlinaung »

I just have a few more questions :roll:
You need to power the hub and the fiber converter, right? Do you plan to place a battery on the upper side?
And can you please provide the forum link to your rov construction?
perfo

Post by perfo »

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1597

Though not much to see at the present...

Yes I plan to put a battery in the Float end as well.... and a bit of buoyant string from the float to a fixed point on land or boat.. To aid retrieval..