Offset Propellers?

Anything to do with Propulsion.
nautilus2

Offset Propellers?

Post by nautilus2 »

I'm very new to the ROV scene and am currently trying to design my first. I have a couple questions that I haven't been able to find answers for:

Is it beneficial to drive the propeller with a belt or gear system, so the motor is off to the side and doesn't mess up the fluid flow through your thrusters?
If so, do common drive belts work well underwater, or do they have a tendency to slip? I can't find any reference of anyone doing this and figure there must be something I'm missing...

Thanks!
scubersteve

Re: Offset Propellers?

Post by scubersteve »

Since most ROVs dont have to move all that fast through the water, the fluid flow around the thruster body
doesn't tend to be all that critical as long as you space the prop a sufficient distance from the motor housing.

However, if you really want to use a belt drive, there are some nice small toothed belts used in printers and copiers
that may work for you.
nautilus2

Post by nautilus2 »

Okay, thanks!
fryslan76

Post by fryslan76 »

Just a thought, but a belt driven assembly would be easier to mount and has less alignment issues with the shaft. In my thoughts I would print a prop and nozzle in one piece and place a shaft in the middle just for mounting. The toothed belt would I loop around the nozzle to the motor which would be to the side. Small alignment issues would be handled by the belt and it would also be possible do use a ratio and gear down a bit on the prop speed.