Pressure housing seals

Waterproof Housing, Frames, and Buoyancy Methods.
Jaman42

Pressure housing seals

Post by Jaman42 »

Hi,
I have been back and forth a bit with the general layout of my ROV, atm I am in the lines of making two seperate pressure housings, one for power supply and one for the rest of the electronics (or perhaps three, split the power supply in two and the electronics in the middle to even out the weight). In this plan I don't have a dome as I am going to have a separate pressure housing for the camera. All this could change again tomorrow you know :) just thought I share something at least. My initial design had a cubical pressure housing but I more or less decided to go with a cylindrical instead. The flange is machined separately and welded on the main tube, I would probably only use one removable end cap and one welded on if I ain't plan on having a dome. The dimensions are still undecided, I am playing around with my components to try and get the general shape of the ROV I want to go with.

I have been thinking about how to seal the end caps. I have learnt about radial, axial and crush seals so I made a design incorporating them all. I read about radial and axial seals having a tendency to leak under low pressure, that's where I got the idea from to use a crush seal as a backup. As I said the dimension are undecided, the dimensions in the drawing are just to get a general idea of the size, it will probably get downsized.