Camera housing

Our Eye's under the water.
UnknownROV

Camera housing

Post by UnknownROV »

Hi! Which one of these two would be better solution for the camera housing? Camera tilt would be easier to do in the second one but would it deform video how much? I have seen that people use both ones but the first seems to be more common (with flat/dome plexiglass). So what would you guys recommend for me? I'll use a (cheap....) board camera and 7" LCD monitor to see what happens underwater. <><
Attachments
nimetön7.png
nimetön7.png (186.07 KiB) Viewed 3752 times
nimetön6.png
nimetön6.png (160.87 KiB) Viewed 3752 times
piercet

Re: Camera housing

Post by piercet »

From my admittedly limited experiance so far, the first setup will be cheaper and easier to implement. You can make a fairly robust PVC housing with a flange or a threaded seal and flat acrylic plate or a dome cheaper than you can get endcaps for an acrylic tube made. Something along these lines: http://prevco.com/products/stock-items/ ... ngs/p6-501 . You should be able to hit higher depths with a smaller housing like that too.

That being said, in my design I'm going the other route with an 8" acrylic tube from Mcmaster Carr.
UnknownROV

Post by UnknownROV »

Okay, thank you. I have to think about this camera thing a bit more. :)
rossrov

Post by rossrov »

Hi UnknownROV. Maybe consider starting simple, with flat window camera housing, but leave enough wires from the controller housing to do dome with tilt at a later date. Alternatively, if you make a waterproof actuator/servo then you could tilt the simple camera and light housings as a single unit.
UnknownROV

Post by UnknownROV »

Maybe you are right. It's better keep it simpe. Makeing tilt with a waterproofed servo wouldn't be bad idea. Actually I have there one broken servo which I could try to do waterproof and make camera tilt with it. Thank you for the idea! Let's see how it gonna work. :)