Hi guys!

Newbies say hello and introduce yourself.
Jaman42

Hi guys!

Post by Jaman42 »

Hi,
I have been fascinated by ocean exploring ever since I saw Aliens of the Deep. I am interested in computers, programming, electronics and mechanics and just finished a fairly long project (work) that wasn't exactly a joy. I am struggling a bit with my boss, he is reluctant to new ideas, doesn't like changes, let's do it the way we always have. I don't like that attitude a bit, stops the development both for the business and for me personally. Why change something that works he says, because we can make it work even better!!!

To resurrect my passion for exploring, finding solutions to problems, programming and mechatronics I decided that I need to do something fun just for myself, I decided that I need to build a ROV. For the first time in years I feel really intrigued by a project.

First of all I would like to say that I don't know all the technical terms and so on but I try to describe what I mean and perhaps you guys can teach me what it actually is called in English. I haven't made any solid plans on what approach I want to take yet, I am mostly reading up on everything. I have kind of decided that I want it to be fairly portable. From what I have read so far the standard approach seems to be (in rough terms) a box with flotation on top and weights on the bottom to make it stable. I might go that way but I have also thought a lot of making it more like a underwater plane if you get what I mean. I figure I need more motors but it might be fun to fly in the sea sort of speak.

Then I was thinking of one more powerful motor in the stern as the main thruster, but I figured that might make a unwanted rotational force that will make the stabilizer thrusters run constantly to keep it level. So perhaps two stern thrusters that rotate towards or away from each other to get rid of the unwanted rotational force. Then for stabilizers, rolling and for lowering and raising the stern and bow I thought of having four smaller thrusters in each corner. Perhaps in this kind of build you still want some more flotation towards the top rather then center to help out with the leveling, other then that I plan on using a gyro to be able to level at will. And the final thruster I had in mind will be placed towards the bow so I can shift it when standing still without rolling. Perhaps even one towards the stern so it can turn on its own axis.

I realize this might be a bit to ambitious as a first build but I tend to do it that way to keep myself motivated. It's seems like the harder it gets the more productive I become, to an extent that is :). It really is a fine line between too easy and too hard. I'm hoping I don't cross the line, but then I figured I have you guys to push me in the right direction, I am totally inexperienced so I know there are tons to learn here from you if you are willing to.

So what do you guys think of "flying in the sea" idea? Any major issues I didn't think of so far?

Sorry for the wall of text

Thanks for reading!
fryslan76

Re: Hi guys!

Post by fryslan76 »

No problems with long posts. Welcome to the forum and enjoy reading and writing here.

Flying, there is one thing that always comes to my mind, nice todo but the corners are always wide ;) And in ROV you might want to make more small corners depeding on what you want to expore.

Regards,

Fryslan
rossrov

Post by rossrov »

Yes, welcome Jaman42. Good post. I started my first submersible camera project partly due to the fact that the electronics I was doing at work was getting a bit boring.
Good visibility conditions will be needed for flying ROV. Flying does not have to be fast though. To stop and look at things in the water you will need a minimum of 3 thrusters, but no more than 4. Probably simpler than you are imagining. Here is an absolutely classic picture I saw a while back and managed to find it again a few minutes ago. There seems to be a Guppy in the water too:
flying minisub.jpg
flying minisub.jpg (41.58 KiB) Viewed 2846 times
http://www.modelluboot.de/
The tether would have to be well designed. Thinking of that, a better experience would be achieved by applying ROV design skills, getting a SCUBA ticket if you don't already have one, and building full size. Big brushless motors are available from the hobby suppliers :D
Jaman42

Post by Jaman42 »

Thanks for the replies, I'm not convinced that it would require more room to maneuver it actually. The way I plan to do it it's more like an additional way to maneuver it, it would require a more hydrodynamic shape I believe so perhaps a tad bigger. I can't really see where this would be beneficial thou. The only reason I am keen on this idea is that I think it would be much fun, and I guess that's the main reason for building it. It might just be stupid thou, I haven't really decided yet.

If I had the resources, knowledge and space I think it would be awesome with a full size submersible :).

I had an idea of a micro ROV docked in the mini ROV to be able to take a peak almost anywhere but that might take me across that fine line I mentioned earlier. It's nice to imagine it thou, undock it and fly thrue that little crack in the underwater cave to see if it leads anywhere.

I'm not gonna jump into anything thou, I am gonna do my research, make my drawings and try and make sure everything works theoretically before I actually build anything. I had a plan of getting all components work together before I even lay a hand on the actual structure of it. However I will probably first do some illustrations just to get an idea of how it could look.
Jaman42

Post by Jaman42 »

Iv'e done some of the math and came to the conclusion that although I really like the idea, the cost will be greater then the benefits. So the first ROV will be using one of the more common layouts.

I'm still undecided about the size, do I want to make a really compact with only 3 thrusters or do I want to make a little larger one with 5 thrusters. With the 5 thruster layout with one in each corner at 45 degree angle you should be able to strafe straight to the left and right correct? Maybe a more compact ROV with only 3 thrusters could be a great way to start and if I get hooked I can simply use the components to build something else. There seems to be a bit more freedom in terms of movement using a 5 thruster layout thou.

I also need to decide the general layout of the electronics, I haven't thought that thrue quite yet. I want to have a top-side battery, and a microcontroller on the ROV to handle the thrusters, lights and so on. I got a couple of Raspberry Pi laying around, but perhaps a Beaglebone black would be a better choice, I need to read more about the input/output options.

The teather would be made out of a ethernet cable and seperate wiring for power, it shouldn't have any problems streaming the camera feed over ethernet I don't think. I am aiming for 100 metres (around 300 feet).

I thought I might as well keep using this thread until I actually have a more solid plan in order :)