Recapturing Energy from Props?

Anything to do with Propulsion.
rovdude

Recapturing Energy from Props?

Post by rovdude »

So I'm not talking about infinite energy here... I'm not that crazy :lol:

But what if we place a micro hydro turbine generator "down stream" from the propeller to recapture the energy? Something similiar to this.

Yes, there is some thrust sacrificed. Propellers work on Newton's Third Law, Equal and Opposite force. The initial force of the water being pushed away from the propeller isn't decreasing, so the opposite force pushing it forward is the same. However that water is then pushing on the turbine in some form, thus, creating another force on the ROV that is negating, to some degree, the forward thrust created by the propeller.

All of that considered, what happens if there is an easily spun turbine(so as to lose as little thrust as possible) with the water flow somewhat funneled into the generator, so the water is hitting as little of the casing as possible? Is it possible to recapture a percentage (albeit probably only 5-10%) of the energy? Or is this resulting in only more NET energy output in the system than normal?

If you can't make out my ramblings above, I guess I'm basically talking about putting a windmill on an airplane behind the engine. All logistics aside, I'm asking if I can capture a large enough percentage of that energy back that the extra energy output is made up for, PLUS some.
rovdude

Re: Recapturing Energy from Props?

Post by rovdude »

So after some consideration, a battery that weighs slightly less would yield 5 times the power of the best case scenario. So unless I have enough battery life to run for hours so the generator could charge up one battery, it's not "worth it's weight"
MNDeepROV

Post by MNDeepROV »

Interesting concept. I think you're probably right about it being "worth its weight". Not sure what I could do with 3.6V...but a few in series perhaps. Maybe there are other models that produce more. I could see the potential benefits if using a tow behind ROV or one that will run in a river (the second ROV design I am conjuring up in parallel with my first). Lights, peripheral, etc....or maybe just to prolong the battery life. Thanks for planting the seed...let's think on that.
rovdude

Post by rovdude »

NP. There are 12V mini hydro-gens out there, but they are designed for boat houses(which, after looking at some of the specs for them, would be a genius investment if you have a boat house) and are in the 1000's of dollars. Is there just a ridiculous markup in the generator market? Probably, similar to the ROV market, and with some machining (or 3D printed parts), could be made much cheaper.