Hi from Sweden

Newbies say hello and introduce yourself.
Kale

Hi from Sweden

Post by Kale »

Hi there,

I'm Magnus AKA Kale from the southern part of Sweden. I have been scuba diving for many years now and I have carried out a lot of video filming under water. My father helped me building my first video housing many years ago (He is not with us anymore). The housing is made of stainless steel and I have always seen it as a great ground plate in an future ROV project. The future is here now and I'm looking around the web for input.

My plans are so far:

Control:
Before I found this place I was planning to control the ROV with one Arduino UNO at the surface and one in the ROV, communication via RS485. Having seen several successful projects using RC-controller via DSC (direct servo control by wire), I'm in doubt…

Thrusters:
Four unprotected brushless outrunners equipped with rc-boat propellers. Two at the rear and two on the sides for up/down.
Attachments
My video housing is going to get new clothes...
My video housing is going to get new clothes...
housing.jpg (72.83 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
fryslan76

Re: Hi from Sweden

Post by fryslan76 »

Welcome,

That tube looks like a nice starting point for a ROV :) only then you cannot create any cool underwater movies of the ROV in action anymore after the build.
Have fun building.

Fryslan76
Billrose

Post by Billrose »

Wow! great 'pod' how deep have you used it?

Also is it positive buoyant in water? What kind type of camera did you use (& will it be the same in the Rov?)

Nice to have you around by the way.

Regards <><
Kale

Post by Kale »

Billrose wrote:Wow! great 'pod' how deep have you used it?

Also is it positive buoyant in water? What kind type of camera did you use (& will it be the same in the Rov?)

Nice to have you around by the way.

Regards <><
Hi guys and thanks!

It's more than ten years since I used the housing. It was originally constructed to contain a Canon Hi8 camcorder. The last camcorder I used in the housing was a Panasonic 3CCD DV camera. Then I bought an aluminum housing for the Panasonic camcorder and the old "Miss Piggy" was retired after a long and faithful service.

I have been down to about 45-50 meters with the old housing. It was equipped with a 10 mm flat plexi on the former rear side. As you may see I have shifted so the former rear side is now the front going to be equipped with a dome. I'm sure that the housing can withstand several hundred meters with sufficient thickness of the dome.

It weights about 5 kg and is slightly positive buoyant when empty. I will adjust the buoyancy with a some foam on top if it is necessary.

My plan is to use a high definition Full HD board camera. Like this one maybe:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151122186572?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

It's a HD-SDI camera. I assume that the signal is hard to transfer so I plan to record the uncompressed signal within the housing and transfer a compressed signal to the surface monitor… Well, thats the plan of today. Let's see what tomorrow brings…

Take care!
/Kale
kenl

Post by kenl »

Hi Kale,

I like that camera, but I want to try to avoid any noise from other electronics in the sub so am looking at This one on Hobby king.

I'm not a camera guy so it may be very inferior to what you're looking at, but it fits the pan and tilt frames and also does the recording in house. That at least should negate any noise from long (+100mm) cable runs within the ROV, I don't mind if the picture that is viewed whilst diving is a bit noisey.
Kale

Post by Kale »

kenl wrote:Hi Kale,

I like that camera, but I want to try to avoid any noise from other electronics in the sub so am looking at This one on Hobby king.

I'm not a camera guy so it may be very inferior to what you're looking at, but it fits the pan and tilt frames and also does the recording in house. That at least should negate any noise from long (+100mm) cable runs within the ROV, I don't mind if the picture that is viewed whilst diving is a bit noisey.
Great! That seems to be what I should start with. Thanks!
Kale

Post by Kale »

I have done some testing today. Everything seems to be ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Diczu2Gkupo
kenl

Post by kenl »

Nice work Kale, I look forward to your open water film!
Kale

Post by Kale »

kenl wrote:Nice work Kale, I look forward to your open water film!
Thanks Ken! I hope I can do a harbor dive this week. My tether is only 10 meter long...