Hello from Norway

Newbies say hello and introduce yourself.
lobster2b

Hello from Norway

Post by lobster2b »

Hello

I am 26 yrs old.
Living with my GF, (normal in Norway, first GF, then living togheter, then engagement, then marriage.)

Ive always been interested in remote controlled "toys"

2 Years ago, i got myself a 4ch radio controlled helicopter that sparked my whole new interest in RC.
After i got able to fly the damned thing, i had the urge to put a camera on it. i quickly found out that it got heavy, and maneuverability got hit hard.
I worked some numbers and cam up with a Helium airship, that got built, but never filled. mainly due to my laziness going back home for the helium tank. and back to the site.

From there i developed a hot air ballon that still is in design, got most figured out, stuck on the actual gondole. figure il make it when time suffices and on freehand.

Since i am employed as a able seaman in a respectable shipping company and have done some school in nautics,
i find myself in a good position transferring from above sea, to sub sea.

I have started the design and evolution of a twin propulsion, tilting and sliding ROV, carrying the standard camera and a simple manipulator. fitted to submerge around 100 feet.
For tether i am going with a cat5 and some nylon rope. the downlink is a 6ch radio system, for use in helis and planes, but retrofitted to handle salt water.
It will carry multiple onboard batteries, one for servo and radio control, some small gel batteries to handle the motors, mainly to gain weight and balance of the craft.

The cat5 will have one or double set of power and ground. one radio link, and a video feed. rest im not compleatly sure about.

i have put my mind on oil filled servoes, since im confident that my fingers can handle it.
i do got some bilge pumps in mind, with a prop mounted.

this will be a free moving ROV, with ruffly the same dimensions as a suitcase.
It will not have the up/down movement, but rather a tilting movement, and let the dual motors handle forward/reverse movement.
The main motors will be mounted using a bracket and are going to be able to tilt up and down in the same range as a servo.
not entirly sure about the motor control system, i am thinking of a servo controlling micro switches. or building a transistor power controller. or some of both.

The frame will be pvc pipes and fittings, not sure about the dimension, but ive settled on 32mm

When i am satisfied with my sketchup model, il post some pics.

For now this should do.

Any tips or comments are welcome with a warm heart.
AHarris

Re: Hello from Norway

Post by AHarris »

Hello Lobster,
You clearly know what you are talking about when it comes to RC vehicles and I am sure you shall be a great help to people on the forum.
I wish you the best of luck with your ROV and other projects!
sthone

Re: Hello from Norway

Post by sthone »

Welcome to the forum, it does sound like you'll be a great asset to our little group. :P

-Steve 8-)