vectored thrust

Anything to do with Propulsion.
Erik102696

vectored thrust

Post by Erik102696 »

My old rov set up was two up and down, two forwards and backwards, and two opposing horizontal motors for strafing and turning. would this setup be able to be switched over to a vectored setup? would I be able to do all the same things? what are the pros and cons of a vectored thrust setup?
olegodo

Re: vectored thrust

Post by olegodo »

Yes, you would be able to do all the same things, ofc you need to keep your horizontal thruster(s)

Pros:
Same amount of thrust in all horizontal directions and better turning speed.
Also you are able to move in both horizontal axis while keeping your rov pointed in any direction.

Cons:
Harder to get the controls right as more motors needs to work at the same time at different speeds.
Maybe not as efficient? since the thrusters actually push at an angle instead of directly in forward/back or sideways directions.
scubersteve

Post by scubersteve »

If we are talking about a MATE specific vehicle, I don't see enough advantage to a vectored thrust arrangement to outweigh the hassle of the control requirements.
On our Navigator class rov from this year we had ample control and an excellent turning radius with the standard tank-drive arrangement of two forward thrusters.
But everybody is looking for something different and free advice is worth what you pay for it.
:D
Erik102696

Post by Erik102696 »

thanks for the responses! so I guess we will just be going with our old thrust setup.
TwoBeaner

Post by TwoBeaner »

Sorry to sound ignorant but what is "thrust vectoring" when it comes to ROV's? Is this having a thruster that rotates to change its directions or a ruder?

Still learning, thanks!
olegodo

Post by olegodo »

The ROV below has a typical vectored thruster setup.
The thrusters are oriented at what looks like close to a 45degre angle. They are stationary at this position.
This means that you are able to use these four thrusters to move the ROV in all horizontal directions with more or less the same force and speed. Also turning ofc. :)

TwoBeaner

Post by TwoBeaner »

olegodo wrote:The ROV below has a typical vectored thruster setup.
The thrusters are oriented at what looks like close to a 45degre angle. They are stationary at this position.
This means that you are able to use these four thrusters to move the ROV in all horizontal directions with more or less the same force and speed. Also turning ofc. :)

Ah okay, thanks for the info... interesting concept.