2s or 3s batteries for onboard power?

Anything to do with Propulsion.
TigerShark

2s or 3s batteries for onboard power?

Post by TigerShark »

I am going to use the same 750KV motors from hobbyking along with 55mm Graupner props that many are using here. Since the thrusters draw huge amounts of current at 12V would running them at 7v on a 2s battery be better? I can get more 2s batteries in my housing to ge more Ah to extend run times.

Is anyone else running 2s for onboard power?
rossrov

Re: 2s or 3s batteries for onboard power?

Post by rossrov »

Thinking more manageable low-speed control, and not wanting full power I used a 7.2 volt ni-mh RC car pack. Also was more suitable in size/shape if I went up to bigger cells, so much the same logic as your's. IMO, the true motor thrust versus current draw, and the controllability at different battery voltages is best done by experiment using the intended ESC. Check the ESC specs re voltage input

Higher voltages will mean a lower current draw than lower voltages for a given power at the motor - this in theory will result in less interference and reduce the current demand on wiring and connectors. Hope that helps :)
TigerShark

Re: 2s or 3s batteries for onboard power?

Post by TigerShark »

After more testing I figured out most of my current loss was due to small gauge wire (30A vs 10A) so I can use the full voltage of the 3s without too many amps so I ordered two with 10Ah capacity total.