what is the main criteria affects depth rating?

Waterproof Housing, Frames, and Buoyancy Methods.
fyc

what is the main criteria affects depth rating?

Post by fyc »

Hello everyone,
I am interested in ROVs for several years. As we know, the most popular ROV manufacturers are Seabotix and Videoray. They produce ROVs that they are capable of diving to several depth ratings. For example, depth rating for Videoray Scout and Explorer is 75 m, and Pro4 is 305 m. In addition to this, depth rating for Seabotix LBV150 is 150/200 meters, LBV300 is 300meters.

Here is my question. What is the main criteria for varying depth ratings? Is this Sealing types or main material of body or what?
Especially ROVs of Videoray are looking so similar to eachother. Their thruster system is same in the sense of sealing methods. They are using oil cartidge. Also main body and dome are looking same. What do you think about this ?

Thanks
jonnyhas

Re: what is the main criteria affects depth rating?

Post by jonnyhas »

Hello fyc,

The main difference between the scout/explorer and pro4 would be the thruster output and operating voltage both bigger on the pro4 allowing a lot more tether to pull against a current etc, and at the end of the day they are designed to a budget to sell to a particular part of the market, where the design is similar it may have an extra o.ring or thicker wall etc to go deeper if you look at the spec sheets scouts camera is fixed its all about a price to sell at.

That's what I think anyway :-)

Jonny
Billrose

Re: what is the main criteria affects depth rating?

Post by Billrose »

<>< Yes Good question...

What you have to understand is that this is commerce. What you are asking has almost nothing to do with the physical operation and depth of the Rov's. (Money. money, money...)

Ok the constants are..

1 Depth & pressure.

2 Electrical energy in the umbilical.

3 Where do you want the machine to go...

A commercial company has a 'product' to sell. It produces a set of specifications and then builds a 'product' to meet those specifications that they say it will operate within. IF! you operate the 'product' beyond those specifications. Then you cannot complain if the 'product' fails...

Its about money...

The questions you should be asking are... What do you want the Rov to do? Will it do it again and again? If it breaks will you fix it for free???

Now this might be a boring reply but I think perhaps you have other questions that you have not asked yet.

Regards.. :sting:

OPPPs! noticed some errors in my spelling & grammer so I edited it....