Captcrunch81 from Alaska

Newbies say hello and introduce yourself.
captcrunch81

Captcrunch81 from Alaska

Post by captcrunch81 »

I am a 1st time Rov builder but am very mechanical and have a lot of high tech tools in my reach for my rov idea

I am wanting to build a gold mining rov that will dive under the ice and mine in the rivers because the water currents are to strong to mine in the summer months

my components for my rov will be

1, metal detector with arm movement
2, small suction dredge
3, cameras (two)
4, lights
5, onboard control board
6, dredge arm for suction hose
7 gps but I am thinking that will not work underwater but it will be more for just marking dig sites for surface use.

I will be asking for advice and would love to hear any ideas that u guys mite have
Rover

Re: Captcrunch81 from Alaska

Post by Rover »

Welcome. You will find lots of information as you cruise through the forums.

The size of your thrusters will depend on the river current and how stiff the suction dredge hose is. I imagine you will be consuming a fair amount of power, with thruster motors, and a pump big enough to bring the sand and rock to the surface.

Keep us updated on how your build is progressing.

Rover
captcrunch81

Post by captcrunch81 »

Yeah, I think this is rov is more of a 3rd or 4th rov build. I think I will start off small 1st with just a normal rov and then work on that base once I get it figured out. As far as my dredge I am currenty thinking of a small boozuka style dredge. It's a under water dredge, they are used for removing top layers to get down to the pay level but I think in a small version it will work well on a rov. I am thinking like a 2" suction hose. The key to building a good suction dredge is to use a high pressure pump not a high volume pump. It will work way better using a high pressure with a lower water output than a high volume low pressure pump. I worked at a place where we built gold dredges for a while. The biggest beifit is a boozuka style dredge is that they don't clogg up very much and due to the short hose to sluice box you will not need very much pump. I recall using a small pond water fall pump one time a long time ago that would work very good if I can change it from 110 v to 12 v
Billrose

Post by Billrose »

hello there,

I have actually done gold & mineral dredging

I could offer a lot of basic advice and help if you need it.

glad to help anytime.
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

I'm working on the same idea!! Your going to need a crawler type rov.
Billrose

Post by Billrose »

Well tracks are a good way to go. For grunt and traction. But big tough paddle wheels can work. Like a bulldozer clawing its way up and down.

Wheels are also simple to make.

I've used both and they both have their merits.
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

wheels would be easier to make, but tracks can spread the weight out over more surface area wich would be handy for soft grounds.
Plus tracks look bitchen LOL If I would have went with wheels I could have had my rov built by now though....