Welding PVC pipe?

Waterproof Housing, Frames, and Buoyancy Methods.
Dace

Welding PVC pipe?

Post by Dace »

I was perusing Harbor Freight tools this morning and stumbled across a plastic welding iron. This gave me an idea so I googled "welding PVC pipe" and apparently it can be done using special rods which HF does sell. I was wondering if anyone has done this and how well did it work. The iron I was looking at gets to about 1000* which I would think is the minimum you would need to melt PVC. Its $70 and comes with 3 tips and has a built in air compressor. This would open up a lot of possibilities and remove some of the limits at which you could design and build an ROV.
Dace

Re: Welding PVC pipe?

Post by Dace »

Ok, the lack of responses tells me it may be a, not so good idea. But thats ok, I think I will try it anyway. I'll post my findings, fails or hopefully successes. : )

Dace
kenl

Post by kenl »

Hi Dace,

I have bought a hot air PVC welder on ebay, I think there is a bit of learning involved in getting a good looking weld. My meager tests so far have been, well OK.

Tight fitting, primed joints and glue provide as strong a joint in my opinion. In my case I'm using both.

I have just about finished my hull and will in the next few days start a new thread on my ROV it will show some my welding attempts.

Try viewing some of the YouTube tutorials on PVC welding.

Ken
Dace

Post by Dace »

Hi Kenl
Thanks for the input. I have been watching youtube vids on using the welder. I do have experience in welding steels either with a stick, mig or gas, plastic is another medium that I have never done so I'm sure there is a learning curve. My design calls for short adapters afixed to the sides of the hull which will also be afixed to the thrusters which kind of look like out riggers. I don't want to use screws which would penetrate the hull and would be more points for leakage. Welding the adapters to the hull is less intrusive. I'm working on a drawing in Sketchup and will post it so you get the idea. I look forward to seeing your design. Thanks again Kenl.

Dace
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

Dace,

If you're using standard sized PVC pipe I may have a solution for you. I'm working on a set of 3D printed standard sized brackets that would go around PVC of standard diameter and give a point to 'bolt' them together without penetrating the hull.

This would make PVC pipe into a kind of 'erector set' to be altered and attached as needed without having to glue everything in place or come up with other creative solutions.

Stay tuned....
Dace

Post by Dace »

Sounds interesting. I'm always looking for new ideas. Thanks

Dace