Question about Mike's Subworks

Waterproof Housing, Frames, and Buoyancy Methods.
SSN626B

Question about Mike's Subworks

Post by SSN626B »

Hi All,
Has anyone dealt with Mike Shubar at: http://www.mikessubworks.com/

Mike's Submarines is selling a SRV-II http://www.mikessubworks.com/page1.html that is R/C controlled, but could easily be converted to a tether. The costs of the sub is probably similar to trying to do it yourself, however you would have a proven, working design when you got done.

I have queried both the manufacturer and Mike's Submarines by email for additional details about the SRV-II, but so far have received nothing back.

Regards,
TCIII/SSN626B
SSN626B

Re: Question about Mike's Subworks

Post by SSN626B »

Hi All,

I have contacted Cliff Walker, the SRV-II manufacturer, and found that the SRV-II Submarine Kit can be purchased for $400, sans R/C equipment, + shipping.

I believe that this ROV cannot be home-built for the same price. Cliff claims that it can reach a depth of 100 ft without leaking. I think that this ROV could be a very viable basis for a tethered ROV.

On a tether it could use an APM (Ardupilot Mega) to provide spatial stability and a FPV camera could be installed in the bow bubble window and transmitted up a two wire pair, using baluns, for viewing on the surface.

Regards,

TCIII/SSN626B
SSN626B

Re: Question about Mike's Subworks

Post by SSN626B »

Hi All,
After talking to Cliff Walker about his SRV-II Submarine Kit, I decided to order one and it should arrive here in Ft Lauderdale by late next Friday or perhaps a week from this coming Monday.
Cliff has been very helpful in explaining the assembly and operation of his SRV-II and I would recommend him and his products to anyone who is seriously considering putting together a quality ROV without having to go out and purchase all of the pieces individually.
Since the SRV-II is designed for radio control, I purchased it without a transmitter/receiver because I eventually intend to operate it on a tether. The SRV-II carries its own batteries as ballast so the tether will be for communication and eventually FPV communication.
A deck can be mounted to the SRV-II so that attaching a waterproof GoPro camera will be easy. Also, Mike's Subworks sells both flood and spotlights for the SRV-II. Cliff recommended the floodlights over the spotlights.
I plan to base my future ROV designs off of Cliff's SRV-II design concepts, but not copy them.
Regards,
TCIII